Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Jonny5's stxr Project....

Well I thought I would start a project list ...Not sure if im supposed to get permission or somthing.

Anyway since im going thru a small make over on the ski along with some small mods here and there I figured this would at least help a few out.

This project wont be blown thru in a month or 2 but over the time span of now untill the end of summer since I do still have a job and cant play all day like water woody does....

So I will be posting some pics here and there and updating what I will be doing.

So here goes......

+1
    Current info...

2003 stxr...bought from stock class racer guy....
    recieved ski kind of beat up....one of my worst purchases....

impeller had some ching gows here and there along with poorly sealed pump shoe.

Speeds then with bone stock R&D grate and plate where 60.5 mph best @ 575ft 75 degrees and about 50 degree water temp slight ripple/glass

This is at keswick where I normally do my testing and the only thing that changes is the air temp and water condition. Level only goes up and down about 15ft.

I also Ride at Lake Shasta alot. So I will post numbers up there as well.
    The best speed I got there was 59.5mph @ 980ft

This is a race setup with sponsons down and forward and full grate.

Supossoably the stock grate and plate will net another 2mph...because of the R&D grate does hang low and grab alot of water.

After I modified the grate the new best speed was 61.9 mph butI have alot of pump work to do..so this is just some base line stuff and we will see what happens. I do have a deadline which is May 1st because im going on a ride and will need the ski back together.
    Here is a shot of it as it stands now....well a couple days ago
    Last edited by jonny5; 04-03-2010 at 03:42 PM.

+1
    So here is a pick of the bottom of the hull that is going to be retrued and have alittle body work done then be painted black....

And a pic of the back where shoe has been removed along with the rest of the under water gear except for shaft and cable. Silicone has already ben taking off.

picture of the impeller after I had filed it down and sanded it some but still needs to be sent off....

And the other side of the pump which I will do some work on but nothing crazy...this thing wont be doing 80 but alittle attention to detail should help alittle...

Here is a pic of the R&D grate that I modified. Not all the way completed needs some finishing. No pic Of the original sorry..this really helped the ski lift some in the front and also lossened it up some Before it was to sucked down....

So working on the bottom then will be putting it back together.....ok got to go...wife is calling tell me to pick out baby names....
    Last edited by jonny5; 03-08-2008 at 11:21 PM.

+1
    So Hull is almost bare......Motor is out along with electrical and water box...just some top deck stuff and fuel cell.

I found out I have a 14/24R prop in there from Skat....im not exactly sure im going to do with it yet.

Found some thing here and there I can do in the pump area to make it alittle more efficient...so ski goes to paint and body work next friday....and will have back that sunday night or monday morn.

Will get more pics soon.
    Last edited by jonny5; 04-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.

+1
    J5, I am keeping an eye on this thread. I have a 15F, but your hull mods should translate to my hull. What kind of RPMs are you turning with that prop? I like the results you had with the intake grate mod. Keep the pictures and information coming.

Thanks, JP

+1
    Do you have a before picture of the intake grate?

JP

+1
    If you look up in the other post 15F budget project on the 3rd page there is a R&D grate there that is uncut.

I am turning about 7050 to 7120 rpm with that prop...day fuel air...makes the variance.....

I do have some pump stuff to do and I will tell what im doing ....when I do it...right now I just need to get the ski out for paint and bottom work.

On your ski you should not have a hook in the hull but I dont know if anyone confirmed it. I know the stxr had one in 02 and 03....But I guess 04 on the took it out...??

ANyway Im hoping the few things I do and attention to detail give about 1.5mph....then a couple bolt on's for another 2mph hopefully...?? but unlikely.

I plan on more grate mod.....prop mod...seal shoe and plate...then jetworks and carb boly up but a aftermarket head first then bolt carbs to see if there is a differance.

Well ....I thought there was more.....Im sure there is but we will see..

+1
    I don't have a hook in my hull. But my R and D plate does. I ride in smooth water most of the time, so I am going to take the hook out of the plate. I have a great holeshot now without getting over the handle bars. I really don't think I need anything pushing the front down, its already pretty nose heavy.

+1
    take that 10 pound storage bucket out...or is that one screwed in...??

+1
    Well ski is striped and ready to head out next friday for body work and paint,..

This ski is really light compared to stock gpr hull. But gpr is more derable...and easy to fix..But only took me and hour to take motor out and every thing else except fuel tank. Which was suprising...

Anyway now that the easy part is done putting it back togther will take alittle longer...im going to buff out the top deck when I get it back then clean everything when it goes in...replace some hard where and a little paint.
    Well I'll keep pics coming..

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information