Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rebuild '03 SC or not?

Hey all - want to solicit some opinions...

Just got my stubborn SC off thanks to Barney's of St. Pete... 1/2 hr versus my hours of struggling -- due to "stuck" SC.

Background: 2003 GTX SC (185 hp) with Riva SC blowoff and many bolt-on mods. The SeaDoo tech told me that the SC has a little slip but is not bad. This is the second to last thing on my list in trying to figure out why I can only get 6,900 rpm. The last is the fuel filter (already did many other things to get here).

Anyway, the issue is I am trying to figure out whether I should get the SC "tightened"(?), "shimmed"(?), etc. or if I should just go all out and have it rebuilt to the newer spec. The problem is that it will cost me about $600 to have it rebuilt ($400 kit + $100 metal washers + labor). Ouch.

The '03 does not fail catostrophically like the newer SCs do (no ceramics, different build). It is easy enough to remove the SC (at least I expect next time to be) so maybe getting it adjusted annually or so makes more sense than the rebuild.

What do you think? I can't find enough info about '03 SCs to make a decision. Maybe they actually crap out totally after a few hours... who knows?

Also, I will be installing a vortech impeller before reinstalling it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaGTXSC View Post
    This is the second to last thing on my list in trying to figure out why I can only get 6,900 rpm.
    You're on the rev limiter and don't have a loss of RPM's if you are at 6900 RPM's. GTX SC doesn't have an 8100 Rev limit like the RXP/T

Both the SeaDoo manual and many owners claim that this machine is supposed to do around 7,600 rpm. 2003 GTX SC

+1
    man i really need to take the time to read slower. I was reading 6900 but thinking 7900

Yes, you have a huge RPM loss and it's probably due to that 03 clutch being burnt out.

Here's a simple test to see. Wrap a rag around the gear and hold it with your hand. Put a 17 mm socket on the impeller nut and turn it counter clockwise. If you can make the gear slip by just holding the gear with hand pressure your clutch is toast.

OK - Thanks - I'll try it tonight... but the question is still...

Do I have some minor repair made to this '03 SC or go all the way with the $600 update???

It would help to know what is done to correct the issue short of the rebuild... if I have to pull the SC and drop $100 per year, that may be a better solution for me than dumping the $600... not sure what the options are... I will probably only keep it for 2 more years at most...

+1
    OK - Thanks - I'll try it tonight... but the question is still...

Do I have some minor repair made to this '03 SC or go all the way with the $600 update???

It would help to know what is done to correct the issue short of the rebuild... if I have to pull the SC and drop $100 per year, that may be a better solution for me than dumping the $600... not sure what the options are... I will probably only keep it for 2 more years at most...
    I will try to help out here. There are no stock replacement parts for the 03 setup that are feasable. I have checked into that and the best option is to replace the o3 setup with the 06 rebuild kit. I have looked into every option on what can be done to a 03 SC and there really are no short cuts to take. Your going to have to have the SC in good working condition when sell, so might as well make it right and just take care of it.

Thanks skoepp! That is what I was looking for... will be packing it up for shipment to Jerry.

+1
    Thanks skoepp! That is what I was looking for... will be packing it up for shipment to Jerry.
    Man I also was looking for the cheapest ways to mod my good 03 SC with no problems. There just is no short cut and I think I wore out my welcome asking so many questions on what can and can,t do. I was hoping that riva was going to release the new rebuild kit (185hp gears) with the titanium coated metal washers included, but since there are not many sc's with 185 gears out there getting moded compared to the SC with 215 gear, i do not think riva will be in a big hurry and maybe never get it to the market. It would have saved us $ 100 dollars. As far as the SC wheels just be sure you have looked into all info on the differences in drop in wheels and there preformance, so that you know exactlly what your real potential gains are with that wheel.

I was hoping for the titanium as well... not going to count on it now - just going to bite the bullet.

With regard to the impeller, the vortech is priced so good that I am going with it... $180 savings over the greenwheel...

+1
    Guy's, we have been thru the titanium coated washer thing 2 years ago. They glaze over and slip early. You wan't the bare metal washers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information