Thread: Impeller pitch

Impeller pitch

Newbie here....
    How does the pitch of an impeller affect the performance of the ski? what would the difference in performance be between a 13/19 and 12/17 be if installed in a GPR?
    By the way, what would be the most common pitch on a stock ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joaqslam View Post
    Newbie here....
    How does the pitch of an impeller affect the performance of the ski? what would the difference in performance be between a 13/19 and 12/17 be if installed in a GPR?
    By the way, what would be the most common pitch on a stock ski?
    a stock 800r should run a 11/14 i believe

Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    a stock 800r should run a 11/14 i believe
    thanks for that info but again, how does the pitch affect the performance and how do you know what pitch to get? Is it based on fitment or output?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joaqslam View Post
    thanks for that info but again, how does the pitch affect the performance and how do you know what pitch to get? Is it based on fitment or output?
    im not a impeller expert far from it and some one can step in and correct me.

the pitch of the impeller is the angle of the blades. the steeper the angle the greater amount of water that can be pushed through the pump.

you want the correct pitch from your impeller if you under pitch your engine will not be able to utilize all the power. if you over pitch your engine will struggle and you wont be able to get up to speed. you sorta have to imagine impeller like a transmission in a car and if you have to low of gear ratios or to high of a gear ratio your car wont run a peak performance same with a impeller.

i believe the 11/14 pitch stand for the fact that the prop has two different pitches allowing the impeller to be efficient at low and high speeds. impellers can be repitched slightly.

i think finding the proper pitch is more trial and error and experience then it is a calculate able factor.

im going by a very limited knowledge of impellers so i could be wrong about some stuff. i hope someone corrects me if im wrong.
    Last edited by stingray152003; 02-20-2008 at 09:59 AM.

yes your right stingray,,

the first number is the leading edge, the second number is the trailing edge...

if you have a lower pitched blade its easier for your motor to wind out..(better holeshot).. if the blades are steeper it will take longer for the motor to get up to speed. (bad holeshot)

you really want to have an impeller that puts you at your target rpm's if your on a 12-1300 single pipe its around 7150 rpm's.. with triples no less than 7700

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post
    yes your right stingray,,

the first number is the leading edge, the second number is the trailing edge...

if you have a lower pitched blade its easier for your motor to wind out..(better holeshot).. if the blades are steeper it will take longer for the motor to get up to speed. (bad holeshot)

you really want to have an impeller that puts you at your target rpm's if your on a 12-1300 single pipe its around 7150 rpm's.. with triples no less than 7700
    i think his is a 800 what would be the best rpm for that?

im not sure about an 800 i dont wanna steer you wrong. id assume its in the same range of the 12-13's, maybe a little higher. i searched really quick and found nothing..

+1
    I think the 2cyl 800 motor likes similar rpm to the 1200pv also. At least it does on my xlt800.
    Probably related to the way the timing is setup?
    I have a 11/14 solas for sale. it has very low hours and is perfect. also it is setback for better holeshot.

+1
    who has better props nujet or solas

Thread Information