MFD for Virage TX p/n 3280365

Does anybody know where I can get hold of a working MFD for my Virage TX p/n 3280365. When my ski goes - boy does it go.... but when it conks out its usually in the middle of the lake. The problem is intermittant and there is a very slight burning smell from the MFD, also something is rattling about inside, so possibly something is breaking down. The part number is specific to this model as it is a 12 pin version, analogue and digital display without the reverse guage. As I live in the UK, getting parts is difficult.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Mark ([email protected])

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk Jetski Newbie (and I mean that in the nicest way).
    Is your tachometer acting up? In my opinion,that is probably the only function in the MFD that could possibly cause it to stall.You may still have a problem after replacing the display.

I quickly looked at the 2001 wiring diagram.The unit with the reverse use the same plug,add 2 wires for reverse,all else should work the same.If it's the only one you can find and can live with the reverse guage.
    A GH member "suck my wake" is selling one from a Genisis,not sure of his shipping policy.
    Good Luck

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetski Newbie View Post
    Does anybody know where I can get hold of a working MFI for my Virage TX p/n 3280365. ...The part number is specific to this model as it is a 12 pin version, analogue and digital display without the reverse gauge. As I live in the UK, getting parts is difficult...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

This thread had some MFI cross referencing info.
    I think the Genesis MFI displays from the same model years will work in your Genesis (and they have a compass navigation aid built-in, plus the electric reverse indicator, which you would ignore). Of course if you can find an exact match, that would be more certain to work.

You can download the service manual for your model year via mattmans site (do a search in the Tech forum); it has
    wiring info for Virage and Genesis.

There is also a web site that provides cross-reference usage info for every Polaris part number - what models and years it was used on. Again, do a search for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Is your tachometer acting up? In my opinion,that is probably the only function in the MFD that could possibly cause it to stall.You may still have a problem after replacing the display.
    The oil and temp warning system are linked to the rev limiter. If/when the MFD goes dead, it will throw the ski into "Limp Mode". If you are hard on the throttle when it goes, it will often stall. This is speaking from experience.

I assume that your MFD is going blank intermittently??? Are there any warnings before it goes?

MFD for Virage TX p/n 3280365

Hi guys thanks for the replies - below is an account of the problem - sorry its long winded. BTW its a Virage TX 2002 1200cc model.
    Any ideas?

Everything was going fine and the craft was in use virtually all day on and off (1/2 hr on , 15min off).Near the end of the day,the ski just lost power and totaly cut out - the MFD went blank then completely reset (engine hours went to 0).Stuck where I was, the jetski would restart and rough idle but as soon as the throttle was depressed - even only fractionally - the engine would cut out and the MFD would power off and reset. Eventually I had to get towed though I could start the ski, I could not get any revs without it cutting out and resetting. Once out of the water (about 1/2 hr later) and on the trailer I started the jetski and reved it up to clear any water,- no problem whatsoever. I did have a very similar problem once before about a year ago, which I put down to dirty fuel because after draining and cleaning the carbs, since then it has been OK, but now I am not so sure. The battery on the ski is new and only 1 year old, the spark plugs,fuel filter, oil filter, air arrestor, are all new all connections are tight and ground points are good. There was no water inside the hull, and no water in the fuel/water seperator. The electronics box has been spayed with wd40 and ignition sealer as have the sparkplugs. All electrical parts have grease on them to prevent water ingress. I cleaned the exhaust screen filter on the exhaust system and also the thermostat housing assembly in case this was a problem. Also I verified the exhaust overheat sensor by grounding the tan colured wire, and the MFD responded correctly with an overheat warning (with the engine off obviously).This to me seemed to negate a problem with cooling.

I checked the voltages on a Digital Voltmeter and they are as below

At Rest Battery Voltage 12.42V MFD readout 13.6V

Cranking Battery Voltage 10.48V MFD readout 10.4V

Engine running at 1500rpm average -

Battery Voltage 14.30V MFD readout between 15.7V and 16.2V rising

The ski reset on me twice whilst doing this just letting it tick
    over within the space of a few minutes. On the 3rd go it stayed OK till
    I switched it off after 5 minutes - frustraiting or what.

I did try an MFD from a Genesis (p/n 3280292) but looking at the wiring diagram the colours on the wires are wrong (not even similar) so erred on the side of caution.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by Jetski Newbie; 02-20-2008 at 05:07 PM.

+1
    The only differences I see is pin #4 on injected models has a tan/orange wire.Pin #9 grn/w # 10 blu/w both for trim.

If you don't have trim or fuel injection those terminals should be open,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetski Newbie View Post
    ...I did try an MFD from a Genesis (p/n 3280292) but looking at the wiring diagram the colours on the wires are wrong (not even similar) so erred on the side of caution...
    You installed a Genesis MFI, or you did not?
    If you did, what happened?

Sorry K447 / Casey67, what I ment by that was, that in all my looking around, I purchased from M&M Marine, an MFD which I was told was the correct part number I was after. When it arrived it was not the part I wanted as it had the reverse control and the part number was different. Rather than fit it and risk damage to the ski, I looked up the part number in a service manual I have and identified it as a Genesis MFD - undetered I looked at the wiring diagram for the Genesis and compared it to the virage tx, unfortunately the wire colour and pin positions did not match, otherwise I would have tried it if it was a 100% match. Hence the MFD went back to M&M without being fitted.

Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by Jetski Newbie; 02-22-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Thread Information