Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question VFIII Install ???'s

I'm going to be installing a set of VFIII reeds from Island Racing (awaiting shipping) into a freinds 1300 R. I have read so many different threads that I am more confused now than when I started.

I've read several threads mentioning to install them exactly the way they come.
    Then I've read some that say not to install the stuffers and gaskets that are included because they are a POS.
    Ive been following Osidebills gasket thread aswell and like I mentioned before I am more confused than when I started.

The ski is committed to go on a ride in 15 days and its all taken apart. I want to make sure I know what to do when the parts come in.

Any suggestions or links to threads that can help me with the installation process ?? Thanks Guys, I truely appreciate all your help !!

Anyone, cmon guys. FERCHO, osidebill, beerdart , WFO . someone please help.

+1
    I have replied on this several times in the past couple weeks but here goes again.

Install the reeds in the supplied spacer plate and make sure the surface of the reeds and the surface of the spacer plate are flush with each other. if they are not, then put them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand flush. Then you can use the supplied gaskets and install. I use a very light coat of 1211 on the gaskets my self if they are the paper type ones. If they are the rubberized material I use a light coat of water proof grease. I hope this answers your question. I will post a pic later of the flatness i am talking about I am still at work now.

Take the stuffers and put them in file 13, they suck. If I were doing it again, I would contact Lowell Horning and get his new metal and foam gaskets.

THANKS !! Im pretty sure i understand whaat you mean about it being flat. what side do you sand the reed or the spacer ?
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    I have replied on this several times in the past couple weeks but here goes again.

Install the reeds in the supplied spacer plate and make sure the surface of the reeds and the surface of the spacer plate are flush with each other. if they are not, then put them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand flush. Then you can use the supplied gaskets and install. I use a very light coat of 1211 on the gaskets my self if they are the paper type ones. If they are the rubberized material I use a light coat of water proof grease. I hope this answers your question. I will post a pic later of the flatness i am talking about I am still at work now.

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Make sure the reed assembly including stuffer (if you use it) is below the reed spacer. Check with a straight edge across the spacer to make sure NOTHING is above the spacer. I like to see 10thou / 0.010" -or slide a piece of paper, between reed and straight edge. The seal is between the cover plate on the balance tube intake and reed spacer.

The reed is made of plastic / composite material and snaps together. Some are higher than others and there is some variation in spacer depth cut for the reed. I sand the reed on a belt sander if it protrudes above the spacer. Like Bill said you can use a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface to sand the reed. The gasket will keep the reed from moving and compress and make the seal with the spacer.

I hope this helps,

Lowell

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com

anyone have pics of this?

+1

V-Force 3 VF3 Reed Reeds Install Installation

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LHorning View Post
    Make sure the reed assembly including stuffer (if you use it) is below the reed spacer. Check with a straight edge across the spacer to make sure NOTHING is above the spacer. I like to see 10thou / 0.010" -or slide a piece of paper, between reed and straight edge. The seal is between the cover plate on the balance tube intake and reed spacer.

The reed is made of plastic / composite material and snaps together. Some are higher than others and there is some variation in spacer depth cut for the reed. I sand the reed on a belt sander if it protrudes above the spacer. Like Bill said you can use a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface to sand the reed. The gasket will keep the reed from moving and compress and make the seal with the spacer.

I hope this helps,

Lowell

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    Excellent information guyz. Get some pics posted and make it a stickie I noticed this has come up a couple of times.
    Lowell has some gaskets as well Contact Lowell for what he uses. they are nice.

Here are two good threads
    VF3 reeds
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=reeds

VF3 gasket tip
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=gasket

Reed assembly order
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=gasket

+1
    you'll need 2 oem gaskets....1 you will cut out the rectangles that match up to the spacer plate and the other you wont cut. and make sure you peel off the white sealant that is on the oem gaskets.

+1

Cool

if you get new style gaskets from Lowell you do not have to cut also made out of better material,only way to go

later cd

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information