Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My 95 SLT 750 project

I recently got a 95 SLT 750 from my father that I'm looking to work on. I absolutly love this thing. Ive ridden atleast a dozen other PWC but none of them perform like this thing. I don't know why but i love the feel of it. I want to keep it running well and maybe add a little HP. As far as I can tell it is completely stock.

The Rides History:
    Bought by some rich lawyer chick that payed to have all the regular maintinence and winterization done by a polaris dealership.
    3 years later my father picked it up off her for 3 grand. From this point on the waverunner has recieved no maintinence what so ever. He replaced the battery every year because he would never disconnect it and if I hadnt replaced the spark plugs a few times it would still have the same ones in it he bought with it. I have never been part of the first starting of a season but im 99.9% sure that they just sprayed either in it till it started every year since 98. Anyways it has always worked well once it was started and I aways enjoyed it. My father purchased two newer PWC so this one has just sat around since end of season 2006. The last time it started it tended to die anytime the throttle was let off after running at max throttle for any period of time. Now its mine and I want it running properly again. It was stored in a heated shop since my father bought it atleast.

My history:
    Basicly I don't have any clue what im doing. I'm actually a student pilot at college and I tend to take mechanic classes for electives if I can. That being said I have only taken a basic engine theory class and am currently enrolled in aircraft powerplant systems. Ive rebuilt a lawnmower and some minor stuff to vehicles like replacing u-joints. Next semester I'm planning to take a motorcycle mechanics class. I would normally ask my family with help for this sort of thing but they tend to be the type that fix stuff with duck tape and a big hammer. Not exactly the direction I want to be headed.

My tools:
    Um.... Saying they were sad would be widely optimistic. Im adding some pics of this total mess my fathers calls his shop. Im sure that anything other than wrenches and such im going to have to buy so any specialty tool you think I will need i would really appriciate it if you told me about.

My goals:
    1. Replace fuel pump and rebuild selector valve.
    2. Convert to premix
    3. Paint it
    4. Increase top speed
    5. Increase acceleration
    6. Accesories
    More or less in that order

Details about each goal
    1. I have ordered the 3 outlet pump for it. I have read things about a flow ristriction device in one of the lines i think but im still kinda confused about that. For fuel lines im thinking of using a renforced line from the tanks to the pump and for the pulse line. Out to the cylinders I think I'll go transparent.

2. From what i seen here I need to get a blockoff plate and a 33 ohm resistor for the gauge. After that I can rip the entre system out and premix at 40-1. If im wrong about this please tell me.

3. I have yet to talk to any professional painter about this but from my understanding there are 2 different finish types on PWC. The normal one and some sort of gel finish. I havent been ably to figure out what type the 95 slt 750 is but basicly I just want to know what i need to do to prep it for painting. Also, whats an easy way to repiar all those dings on the underside? After it is preped i believe im supposed to apply a sealer and then i can paint it normally. That still leaved the question about the seat. I doubt you can just paint it so im going ot have to find someone to put new vinyl on it or do it myself. If you guys/gals have any suggestions abut that one I would appriciate it. Oops, almost fogrot about trim. Im thing that some sortof rubber paint is what to use on this but im still gonna look around about it.

4.Open for suggestions about this one. I would like about 5 miles and hour more before season starts. I can't spend much this year but if you can suggest something I bet i can weasel away enough money for it.

5. Its already fast enough getting out of the whole for me but it never hurts to be faster.

6. I really would like to have some of those pop-up tiedowns I saw on another page here. Night lighting would be nice to but thats kinda way down the road here.

Anyway thats about it. I know im being a pain since i have no clue what I'm doing but I appriciate any suggestions you might have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0097.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	58752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0098.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	58753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0099.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	794.8 KB 
ID:	58754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0102.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	58756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0109.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	58757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0110.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	58758  

+1
    Welcome to the hulk...

We love projects. It looks like you have all the tools need at your disposal. First I would do a compression check and maybe pull the heads and have a peek at the pistons and cylinders. Next pull and rebuild the carbs and inspect replace the reeds. Keep us posted and if you have any ?? just ask.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Buy yourself a decent screw-in compression gauge. One with the check valve in the screw-in tip, as they are the most accurate.

Do a search for the things you are thinking of doing. There are threads here on almost every topic! Your Fuji engine is very similar to the 1992-1997 SL and SLT 650, 750, and even 780 models. The Pro785 is a little different all-around, so Pro785 info may not be applicable to your model.

If it was never lubed, you should inject grease into the impeller shaft through-hull bearing. It uses a needle type injection tip. If it has rusted, you may want to pull it apart and replace the bearings.

If you have not done so already, download the 67MB manual for your model series (Polaris PWC Service Manual).

Special tools? Not many. Keep in mind that the engine is Metric, while the boat itself uses US inch bolts and nuts.

How much faster do you want to go? How much would you like to spend?

One member has stuffed a Pro785 engine in his SLT. Fast, but not for everyone.
    Others have put triple tuned exhaust pipes in, which definitely boosts power, but is not a trivial project.

Smaller gains with ignition tuning (CDI upgrade), impeller changes, and 4 inch extended jet pump and ride plate (if yours doesn't have it already). There are some aftermarket and alternate ride plates, which can help with speed, acceleration, or handling, but usually not all three.

Handling can be changed by adding hull sponsons, and some have added a small pump wedge ring to the jet pump nozzle, which changes the hull attitude at speed, increasing top speed.

Have a look through the projects section.

Welcome to the hulk! This is your first and last place you will ever need to go for your polaris addiction.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

f/a

the 95slx780 which was the bomb when it came out,ditched the stock snorkle breather like yours and went with op flame arrestors,a stock open element style is also much better but will require you to rejet your setup to take advantage,replace the reed petals with a light tension setup like carbon tech.just those 2 will surprise you,the longer rideplate and pump setup are pretty much a must do

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    the 95slx780, which was the bomb when it came out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reccashi View Post
    I recently got a 95 SLT 750...
    The project boat in this thread is a 3 seat SLT 750, not a 2 seat SLX 780.

+1
    Welcome to green hulk.
    Heck,It doesn't look bad.The paint is pretty durable.With a good paint cleaner/restorer the shine will come back.Some members have cleaned up there rub rail mouldings with steel wool,brought back the color.
    If you wanted to change the looks of it ,you sould remove the decals on the front.
    Auto parts stores sell plastic trim paint,you would be amazed how much you could change the appearance with out a complete repaint.

I your right about the exterior not really being in bad shape but the color scheme has always annoyed me. Plus I have a new spray gun laying about I would like to try out.

The new fuel pump came in today so I was down at he local parts store looking for fuel line. The guy at the counter was trying to convince me I needed some heavy duty line rated for 120psi for this pump but I think hes lieing. Something about the $5.95 a foot price tag has me turned off that idea. Normal line should work right?

+1
    Yes normal fuel line will work operating pressure of the ski is around 6 psi. Some peeps use the colored tygon stuff to see fuel flow.

Just bought fuel line from Lowe's for 80 cents a foot and got 18 feet. Enough to replace all the lines and plumb triple outlet fuel pump. Wise move to question the nearly $6.00 per foot. Trying to make some $$$of you .

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information