Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Angry single people get screwed on taxes

so im at work and im talking to a guy he has 3 kids. he goes how much you get back for taxes and i said 1300 but i would have had to pay state and i would have got back 500 for federal if i didn't get to claim my schooling. i go to him how much you get back he goes close to 9g.

now im like wtf because first off how do you get back more in taxes then you payed in? he makes the same as me and i claim 1 and i asked he claim one and i only paid in to state and federal 6500 and thats all he could have paid in.

and second why should you get back more because you have kids?

if they do a national health care system there going to have to raise taxes to pay for it. If you have kids you will be putting a bigger burden on the system but as it set up now instead of the parents carrying that burden it while be single lower and middle class Americans.

the whole thing pisses me off the only thing the government is promoting is for people to have kids so they get more money back. instead people going to college should be getting back big tax insensitive.

+1
    I obviously dont know your background, but i think you should check into the school thing, I know i was able to right off all of my school bills last year and will be doing it again this year...

May want to try a new method (ie hr block, or an accountant) of filing...cause it sounds like something isnt right.

+1
    Many different things can effect your taxes. He's getting deductions for those 3 kids. That will make a big diff. Other things could be different even though you say both of you make the same money. 401k contributions (it will lower your taxable income dollar for dollar for everything you contribute) home ownership (mortgage int. and property taxes are big deductions) child care expenses the list goes on and on.

Where I work single people pay $50 per month for medical while I pay a tad over $300 for my family, add food, clothes, child care, ect ect ect. Kids are NOT cheap, now people who can't write off housing costs are the ones getting screwed...ie renters or live at home bums.

He should also not be claiming 1 he should be claiming 3 or more.

There are a bunch more factors going on here, what is your actual tax rate? Mine this year is up around 30% and I owe an additional 8K because I didn't look at my income/make adjustments in the middle of the year like I should have.

+1
    i claim im no tax expert and your right i know he has a small farm another large tax right off.

i was pissed when i wrote the post im a little calm down now. i mean you always hear people go well you need to own a house or kids so you can have a tax write off. i just dont see how kids (dependents) should be a right off.

yes kids are expensive and there not easy to take care of. But you had them and if you we weren't prepared to have them or count afford to have them then you shouldn't have. i know that seems harsh and im not trying to be rude but its reality. i think in todays modern age more responsibility needs to put on the individual.

what really got me is the fact that if he got back more then he put into taxes( i know his wife doesn't work) then where is that money coming from?

-first he isnt really paying any thing in so that means that what we people who actually do the ones with out any right offs are paying for the majority of every thing in federal and state budget.

-not only did he pay not contribute to the federal budget or state budget but he got money more money back. where did that money come from?in my mind part of what i paid in and what other individuals paid in is just being redistributed to the rest of society who got extra back. now i think this is what gets me the most. because that 2500 extra just didnt pop out of thin air

by the way if i understand the rebate checks and he didnt include that in what he told me that be 1200 for couple and 300 a kid that would be another 2100 bucks so all in all he would have gotten back 11,000 to my 1,900 .

You can't get back more than you put in, that's called welfare or cheating.

You are forgetting that he probably paid property taxes, they can run in the tens of thousands.....another write off.

As for my choice for having kids, you are right, I can afford them. The government allowing me to write off 1K for each is nice, but let me tell you I'd be way farther (further?) ahead (financially) not having kids and giving the gov 5K per year extra as a "no kids tax" but I could say the same thing about a mortgage on a house, it was your choice to not save up enough money, thus needing a loan.....why should you get rewarded (interest write off) for your stupidity and inability to save?

You sound young?, don't worry it only gets worse, the more you make (harder you work) the more uncle sam thinks he is entitled to.....in a disproportionate sliding fucked up scale. At least you OVERPAID and have a nice little sum of cash to look forward to.
    Last edited by Lurker; 02-21-2008 at 07:07 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    You can't get back more than you put in, that's called welfare or cheating.

You are forgetting that he probably paid property taxes, they can run in the tens of thousands.....another write off.

As for my choice for having kids, you are right, I can afford them. The government allowing me to write off 1K for each is nice, but let me tell you I'd be way further ahead (financially) not having kids and giving the gov 5K per year extra as a "no kids tax" but I could say the same thing about a mortgage on a house, it was your choice to not save up enough money, thus needing a loan.....why should you get rewarded (interest write off) for your stupidity and inability to save?

You sound young?, don't worry it only gets worse, the more you make (harder you work) the more uncle sam thinks he is entitled to.....in a disproportionate sliding fucked up scale. At least you OVERPAID and have a nice little sum of cash to look forward to.
    i am younger mid 20's .

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    your first mistake is talking about your taxes. it is never a good idea to compare finaces, a good CPA will tell you never to discuss taxes with anyone as it leads to playhateing and Jealousy which could lead to a dime being dropped on you.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    i know he has a small farm another large tax right off.

I still live at home but on the family farm... and just about EVERYTHING is deductible if you have a farm. My old man even writes off my vehicle maintenence ( brakes, oil, wiper blades, etc). His truck payment, gas, you name it, goes in the deduction. You can somehow seem to fit everything into a category of a deduction somehow... its a game just gotta know how to play it. CPA's are expensive but nice

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meirvin View Post
    your first mistake is talking about your taxes. it is never a good idea to compare finaces, a good CPA will tell you never to discuss taxes with anyone as it leads to playhateing and Jealousy which could lead to a dime being dropped on you.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information