Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 TXI.. Should I Buy

Hello All!

I am new to this board and thought it might be good to ask you guys a few quesitons about a possible purchase i may be making in the near future.

Here are the details...

I stunbled into a deal at the local sea doo dealer. They took a 02 Virage TXI on a trade after it was brought in for repair and the owners decided to trade and buy a new Doo. The shop tore down the engine and determiened what needed to be replaced and there it sits. It really is in good shape..fairly low hours and has been undercover all its life. They want $300 as is with a good title.

I feel that i could make the repairs to the engine without much problems, i have built a few kawi twins and feel fairly good about my mechanical ability so ....with that said, what would you do in this situation? Rebuild the current power plant or opt for the SBT reman. Have any of you guys used SBT before and what did you think?

Also, i ride stand up and have been looking to get a crusier for some time and feel that this ski might be a good fit. I really would like to hear from people who have had time on these skis and their opinions. Overall reliablity of the fuel injection and things like that

I just want to get some info on what i might be geting into...

Thanks.

+1
    Ryand ,
    it sounds like a good deal , you really can't go wrong.
    you've got a pm

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO GREENHULK^^^^^listen to him,you will be golden^^^^
    enjoy and have fun
    mattman
    p.s. block ebay from your pc.

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Sounds like an awesome deal.

A lot of the guys on this board dislike SBT. Do a search, there has been many discussions about their products.

Find out exactly what the engine needs and we should be able to point you in the right direction for parts and service.

Good luck!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME to the HULK,That's a GREAT DEAL on that year.
    Rebuild it yourself,The addiction grows faster and stronger that way,and we all enjoy people getting hooked and doing performance build-ups,That way we don't feel like the disease is only our problem. Besides you have the best bunch of Polaris Experts in the world here to you.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk!

I recently bought a couple of 2002 Virage TXi myself. 2002 was the last year for the TXi model.

The only downside (if you can call it that) is that the injected models do not (yet) lend themselves to engine or power upgrades. That said, fuel economy is good, power is smooth, starting is reliable.

Can you outline what the service shop said the engine needed?

Here is the whole story.. After I finally talked in detail about the ski with the shop, I found out that last year the owner hit something and knocked a hole in the hull and the ski sank. It was pulled out and repaied at the dealer I am talking to. Apparently thy were able to save the engie because they got to it quick enough. It was running (poorly) when it came into the shop.
    So now with this new info, what should I do now?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    Here is the whole story.. After I finally talked in detail about the ski with the shop, I found out that last year the owner hit something and knocked a hole in the hull and the ski sank.
    It was pulled out and repaired at the dealer I am talking to. Apparently they were able to save the engine because they got to it quick enough.
    It was running (poorly) when it came into the shop.
    So now with this new info, what should I do now?
    Doesn't sound right, somehow. If it sank, then there would be too much water in the engine for it to run.

If they were able to purge the water out, and get it running in the shop, then they should have been able to run it enough to heat/remove the remaining moisture; fog the engine, and it should be good.

So if they saved it, then why is the motor apart? It is apart, right?

Did they clean out the fuel and oil tanks?

Was this a salt water sinking?

Was the hull damage repaired?

Do you have pictures of the current state of this thing?

What state exactly is it in? What parts are out, what does or doesn't work?

+1
    i would look at the hull damage and all the electrical components and go from there .
    is it a 700 or 1200 motor

I need to clarify a few things...
    In 2006 the owner had a docking mishap and put a hole in the hull and the ski sank. It was quickly gotten to land and the engine was purged. Then it was taken to the dealer I am talking with for the hull repair and a general one over. The repair was made and engie ran to get all the water out and they were sent on their way. Fast forward to this past fall, the owners brought the ski back in to the same dealer because it was running poorly. They diagnosed the engine, rebuild was recomended. The owners traded it in and the dealer tore down the engine to rebuild it and determined they could not make their usual profit on this one. It is sitting with the engine out and on a bench. All three cyl have scraches and will neet a top end. Not sure about the crank. So basically it was running when it came in to the dealer the second time. They just can't make enough money on the ski to justify the rebuild. It sank in freshwater.
    Last edited by ryand; 02-23-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: left stuff out

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information