+1

Jet Ski Helps Crews Make River Rescue

Jet Ski Helps Crews Make River Rescue

POSTED: 12:52 pm PST February 18, 2008
    UPDATED: 1:45 pm PST February 18, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Firefighters used a jet ski to save a woman who jumped off the Marquam Bridge on Sunday.

The woman jumped at about 10 a.m., fire officials said. Itís a 130-foot fall into the water from the bridge.

Crews said they were able to get to her quickly by using the jet ski.

"We have fireboats on the water, but nothing will get there as fast as (the jet ski) will," said Jerod Fitzgerald, of Portland Fire and Rescue.
    "Statistically, it shows that the amount of body recoveries that we go on is significantly less because of this craft."

The departmentís original jet ski is in the shop for repairs, but the business fixing the jet ski loaned Portland firefighters one of their own until the repairs were finished.

Officials said it would have been a recovery instead of a rescue if they didnít have the jet ski.
    http://www.kptv.com/news/15334640/detail.html

+1

Rented Jet Skis Never worked for SAR

+1

India getting Jet Skis on beach safety programs

BMC gears up for beach safety plan
    12 Feb 2008, 0530 hrs IST,TNN
    MUMBAI: If the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is to be believed, watch towers stocked up on safety equipment and lifeguards ready to jetski to the rescue of the victims will soon be a reality on the city's beaches and shorelines.

A beach safety patrol projectówhich has been pending since the Bombay high court directed the state to come up with a plan for beach safety in July 2006óhas finally got the BMC's administrative sanction. What it means is that tenders will now be invited to outsource the management of various safety aspects on the beach. BMC's executive health officer Jairaj Thanekar confirmed to TOI that tenders will be invited for the project soon.

According to sources, Juhu beach, Madh Island, Aksa, Marve and Gorai beaches will be outsourced in the first phase. Apart from setting up watch towers, areas will be demarcated in such a way that tourists and visitors are kept away from places that will be identified as dangerous.

The beaches will also classified under various zones. Beaches like Girgaum and Juhu, which are a hot favourite with tourists, will be put in Zone A. Beaches like Mahim, where fishing activities are undertaken, will be put in Zone B and places like Bandstand, Gateway of India and Haji Ali will be categorised in Zone C.

In addition, corridors have been earmarked for rescue operationsólike beach corridor, green corridor and yellow corridor. In case of Bandstand, the green and yellow corridor will be put into place. Rescue work will start along the seashore and extend to one km into the sea. The green corridor will be activated once the rescue operation extends more than one more km inside the sea. "Once the green corridor limit, earmarked at 2 km, ends the coast guards will take over rescue operation," said an officer of the Mumbai Fire Brigade, which is supervising the project.

Incidentally, the plan was initiated after a PIL was filed by NGO Janhit Manch. President of the Manch Bhagwanji Rayani told TOI, "The Bombay high court had then directed the state government to have lifeguards in all beaches across Maharashtra. I have been going to Juhu beach for my morning walks but I have still to come across any lifeguards," said Rayani.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161276706

+1
    Stricken jet-skier in sea rescue drama

JET-SKI users are being warned to carry mobile phones or radios to call for help after a rider was swept out to sea.
    A stricken jet-ski was spotted about a mile from the entrance to Langstone Harbour by a fishing boat returning to Southsea Angling Club.
    Its engine had broken down and it had become caught in a strong tide as darkness drew in.
    Dave Jerome and Craig Bridgewater, in their fishing boat Louisa, pursued the drifting jet-ski into the Solent and attached a tow line.
    They handed the rescue over to the coastguard and the rider, who was uninjured, was towed back to Hayling Island at 5.45pm on Saturday.
    John Feltham, spokesman for Portsmouth Lifeboat Station, said, 'The tidal flow at the entrance to Langstone Harbour can be very powerful. It's important for all water users to be able to call for assistance promptly in an emergency.'

The full article contains 160 words and appears in n/a newspaper.
    Last Updated: 11 February 2008 10:17 AM
    Page 1 of 1

John Feltham,

11/02/2008 20:37:26
    After a valiant effort against the strong ebbing tide, the small fishing boat left the jet ski with the Hayling Mobile Coastguard Unit near to the harbour entrance.

At 1730hrs RNLI Portsmouth Lifeboat Station was paged and its D class lifeboat Heyland II launched to take over the tow of the jet ski. The jet skier, who was finally landed at Hayling Island public slipway at 1747hrs, was none-the-worse for his experience.

A range of Sea Safety Guidelines (one of which covers the safe use of Personal Watercraft - jet skis) is essential reading for all who go to sea. These can be obtained free from the RNLI. Visit the RNLI website on www.rnli.org.uk/seasafety or telephone 0800 328 0600.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/latest/Stricken-jetskier-in-sea-rescue.3764287.jp

+1

Rescues Mount in Powerful Surf Rips

Rescues mount in powerful surf rips

07Feb08
    SYDNEY man Sam Khoury was rushed to hospital after lifeguards pulled him from rough surf during a mass rescue at the southern end of Narrow Neck yesterday.
    A SYDNEY man was rushed to hospital after lifeguards pulled him from rough surf during a mass rescue at the southern end of Narrow Neck yesterday.
    Sam Khoury was one of eight swimmers rescued as the drama unfolded about 12.30pm.
    It was the second close call for the day after a Coolangatta bodyboarder was swept out to sea by a deadly rip about 8am, later telling The Bulletin she was convinced she would die.
    In the Narrow Neck incident, lifeguards said the swimmers struggled to keep their heads above water after being hit by a rapid set of waves and then swept out past the break.
    Mr Khoury's brother, Hany, said he had been holidaying on the Gold Coast with his brother's wife and parents and was on the beach when the drama began.
    "He (Sam) should be all right but he's just in a bit of shock at the moment," he said.
    "It was all pretty scary because I woke up to the megaphone going off telling swimmers to be careful in the water, then all these lifeguards were running past me down to the water.
    "Two people were pulled out of the water on boards and then the jet-ski went out and my brother was the last to reach the beach."
    When ambulance officers arrived, Mr Khoury was conscious and breathing with the aid of an oxygen mask.
    Lifeguard Daniel Young said Mr Khoury was short of breath when he was pulled from the water.
    "He copped a beating from the waves," he said.
    "He wasn't the strongest swimmer and he was struggling a bit.
    "All the water came in with a set of waves, then it sucked out rapidly, pushing the swimmers past the shore break."
    Mr Young warned beachgoers to be extra cautious when swimming at the beach during rough conditions.
    "People should really stay in waist-depth water in the middle of the flags," he said.
    Bryce Greenwood, of Newcastle, told of his rescue.
    "The girlfriend got swept out too and she was yelling 'help, help' and I was panicking a bit," he said.
    "The waves were coming one after the other and it just took us straight out."
    The 37-year-old said they had been swimming between the flags when they were pulled offshore.
    "One minute we were in the water at waist height and the next we were sucked out and we knew we were in trouble," he said.
    Earlier yesterday, Marienka Heartsong prayed for her life when she realised she was caught in a dangerous rip.
    The Coolangatta bodyboarder ventured out for her daily paddle about 8am -- and suddenly found herself 100m offshore.
    "I went out and basically the rip took me straight away," said the 28-year-old.
    "I was at least 100 metres off Snapper Rocks. At first I was calm but then I started getting scared.
    "I tried to paddle against it but I wasn't going anywhere, I kept getting dragged farther out into the ocean.
    "I was praying when I was out there, I honestly thought 'my God, I'm going to die today'.
    "An old lady and a little kid were on Duranbah hill and I signalled to them that I was in trouble.
    "They got help from the lifeguards. A man on a jet-ski rescued me but he couldn't get me at first because a wave knocked me off."
    Ms Heartsong said the frightening incident would not keep her from the surf, but she admitted she had learned some valuable lessons.
    "I'll definitely go back out there again but I'll be more careful of rips and I won't go out alone," she said.
    Greenmount-based lifeguard Scott Wildin said he regularly helped swimmers and boardriders between Snapper and Duranbah.
    "Duranbah's really dangerous as there's really big tides washing up to the cliffs and the beach isn't patrolled," he said.
    "I was alerted about a bodyboarder in trouble off Lovers Rocks at the northern end of Duranbah.
    "I responded in a jet-ski and as I went to pick her up the first time she slipped off and I had to go back around to get her. I finally got her on the back of the rescue mat.
    "She was very thankful.
    "The waves were washing right onto the rocks. It was pretty hectic out there."
    Northern NSW lifeguards reported an emergency crew was called when a swimmer was spotted up to 500m off Lennox Head, but their services were not required when the man made his own way to shore.
    Gold Coast beach safety

Thread Information