Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Green Living?

+1

Green Living?

Green living

The Portland Tribune, Feb 12, 2008

©2008 RICHARD HALLMAN
    At January’s Nelscott Reef Tow In Classic, emissions from jet skis were offset by donations for battling climate change.

Big waves come with small emissions

Oregon’s only pro surfing event went carbon-neutral for two days last month. The Nelscott Reef Tow In Classic, held Jan. 11 and Jan. 13 this year, draws international competitors to the giant winter waves off the coast near Lincoln City.
    Through Carbonfund.org, contest organizers offset emissions associated with the event. That includes travel for all competitors to and from the contest, motor vehicles used during the contest, and emissions from the jet skis used to transport surfers out to waves that towered up to 40 feet.

http://www.oregoncitynewsonline.com/sustainable/story.php?story_id=120249641658497000

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Green living

The Portland Tribune, Feb 12, 2008

©2008 RICHARD HALLMAN
    At January’s Nelscott Reef Tow In Classic, emissions from jet skis were offset by donations for battling climate change.

Big waves come with small emissions

Oregon’s only pro surfing event went carbon-neutral for two days last month. The Nelscott Reef Tow In Classic, held Jan. 11 and Jan. 13 this year, draws international competitors to the giant winter waves off the coast near Lincoln City.
    Through Carbonfund.org, contest organizers offset emissions associated with the event. That includes travel for all competitors to and from the contest, motor vehicles used during the contest, and emissions from the jet skis used to transport surfers out to waves that towered up to 40 feet.

http://www.oregoncitynewsonline.com/sustainable/story.php?story_id=120249641658497000

Hmmm I think I need to start selling carbon credits. I need a good web designer

+1
    Almost as good as selling PET ROCKS huh?
    What a scam...

But the worst part is that people are dumb enough to fall for it.
    As if they are doing good, versus doing bad...

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Almost as good as selling PET ROCKS huh?
    What a scam...

But the worst part is that people are dumb enough to fall for it.
    As if they are doing good, versus doing bad...
    Yeah I agree, but hey, I'm out here in west Texas where the town named Notrees is not an oxymoron, if I start up a Carbon credit buisness I could get paid to plant my own forest on my personal property, pretty good ieda huh?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Yeah I agree, but hey, I'm out here in west Texas where the town named Notrees is not an oxymoron, if I start up a Carbon credit buisness I could get paid to plant my own forest on my personal property, pretty good ieda huh?

I think it's just as good as getting the first international real estate license and selling plots for burials on the Moon, and or Mars, if one is romantic enough, Venus.

yeah, do it. Sell Tarballs too. SAVE THE TARBALLS!

You could be an instant success, it seems our entire country doesn't think enough to know when something is real or not.
    LOL

+1
    HMMMM- Seems like you two and myself are the only ones that see thru this BS. Its all about money--just follow the trail. When Mt St. Helen blew back in the 1980s it emitted more "green house gases" than the internal combustion engine has since its invention. And guees what--we are still here. Also the antartic ice cap is growing---Greenland used to be tropical--the earth has always had cycles long before mankind was around. As I said in the first sentence---its all BS.
    Last edited by Sundance; 02-24-2008 at 08:44 AM.

+1
    Agreed,
    On my other website I have a good thread on this:

http://towsurfingjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1146

Shawn

I agree with the lot of you!!!!!! Carbon credits, global warming, ALLL BS!!!!! Thirty years ago it was global cooling, We are on the brink of another ice age. WTF now thirty years later it is the opsite??? HMMMMM I'm not buying it.

+1
    Oh, you haven't heard of GLOBAL DIMMING yet? LOL

http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssue...baldimming.asp

It's a 3 way chase who wins the gloom and doom award!

Whether the carbon credits are "real" or not is an interesting issue. It sounds a bit hokey to me but I'm not sure of the details of the program. Consider the growth of "derivatives" which are synthetic financial instruments (backed by no underlying asset). This field includes many different products ranging from futures options to interest rate swaps. (An interest rate swap can be used to hedge against risk of rising or falling interest rates). The overuse of derivatives is what got Orange County into financial trouble several years ago. The theory behind the use of derivatives makes sense and they created their own trillion dollar world market, yet they really are just pieces of paper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information