Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Look Like Another Bad Starter

I was thinking of taking the SLTX out to play tomorrow. I haven't being out skiing for a couple months. Tried two batteries and all I get is the click-clack of the starter relay and lots of heat where the cable connects to the starter.

Before I did anything, I pulled the plugs and gently pushed on the pistons and the engine turns freely so it's not locked up.

So hell's bells, it looks like I got to pull that starter again and I had just changed it last Fall!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Might be the bendix going bad. Can you peek at it and/or re-lube it?

+1
    I think I'd pull the front cover and replace the bendix as well.
    Sombody here is advertising bendix's for 38 bucks.

+1
    I was able to see the bendix when I changed the stator last summer and it's pristine...I lubed it up too.

GREAT NEWS!! The starter is okay!

The two batteries I have were well charged, one with a trickle charger, swapping it out with a third battery every couple weeks and the other was in the hull with the negative disconnected. But neither could coax the starter to turn over yesterday.

I put one of the batteries on a 2 amp charge overnight and just put it in. The first bump of the starter didn't turn it over, but then the starter woke up and cranked great after that. The motor lit right up and ran well after sitting 2.5 months. I started it about 4 times.

I'm very happy about that! Just in time for the next cold front mid week that will take our temp into the 60's for the high temps! Oh well, this weekend would have been great but I'm getting over what I think was Walking Pneumonia and the antibiotics are killing me.

Thanks for the input as always!

i wouldnt trust it mate, check your connections ,

nothing sucks like being dead on the water

+1
    I had a 550 stand up that was like that last year. I wouold try yo start it and just clicking. Then I would wait a minute adn it would fire right up. The ground cable would get so hot it would smoke.

Ended up being corrosion in the negative cable. I replace the ground and it runs like a champ.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    I had a 550 stand up that was like that last year. I wouold try yo start it and just clicking. Then I would wait a minute adn it would fire right up. The ground cable would get so hot it would smoke.

Ended up being corrosion in the negative cable. I replace the ground and it runs like a champ.
    I think you're on to something...often my ski will die electrically and I have to wiggle the negative cable to get the power back....

Well there you go. I found out about my bad cable after I put an $800 voltage regulator on my big boat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Cables and connections go bad, often. Vibration & corrosion will make it more likely to happen, sometimes in several places at the same time (or so it seems).

Always prove to yourself that the cables and connections are NOT the problem, then suspect other things...

Be careful working with tools and machinery when you are on meds, or recovering from illness. It is easy to forget that you might not be thinking with full clarity.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Be careful working with tools and machinery when you are on meds, or recovering from illness. It is easy to forget that you might not be thinking with full clarity.
    I hear you loud and clear...I called in sick for the last 3 days of flying. Next time I fly is Wednesday and I'll be ok by then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information