Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skat Setback Pump Questions

I have just purchased a Skat 155mm 14 Vein Setback Pump....I know this is a great pump that offers awesome hook-up... keep in mind this will be used on a GPRXP conversion boat with a Stage 3+ RXP motor in it...it should be capable of 90+ mph...

If you have experience or knowledge on this matter please offer some info to for me...I really appreciate it!

I also have another Skat Pump, non setback, don't know if it is 155 or 158 or how many veins it has....

Anyways what Skat Pump offers the most top speed on smooth water...?

Do I want setback or non setback for top speed...?

Do I want 155mm or 158mm for topspeed...?

How many veins are the best compromise between speed/hookup/acceleration...?

If I were able to pick any Skat Pump for best top speed...what would it be?

I have the exact same question.

+1
    The Skat pumps work real well, and when using a setback pump there should be no loss in top speed compared to the 2005 GPR pump.

The 155 will have a higher top speed than the 158. (This is based on a conversation I had with one of the top race mechanics, they used 155 on his race ski for this reason)

The 158 will hook up better than the 155. (Again based on a conversation I had with one of the top race mechanics.)

The setback pump hooks up better than the non-setback.

The setback may be faster than the non-setback (I have not personally confirmed this.)

Skat offers 8, 12 and 14 vein pumps. The design of the 8 vein pump is similar to the OEM pump. The 12 and 14 vein pump uses a different blade design. I think you would be better off with either the 12 or 14 vein pumps. I don't know if there is any performence difference between the 8, 12 or 14. The 14 vein was the most popular with the racers so for that reason alone I would suggest that is the pump to use.

Skat pumps use stainless steel for the veins so they are more durable than the OEM pump.

The 4 stroke motors make so much HP I would suggest you use a 158 14 vein setback. These are very rare so most of you will end up with 155 14 vein setback, which will do a good job as well.

With a Skat pump you have a choice of impellers. (Here are some comments on impellers based on results with 2 stroke GPRs):

Skat Full swirl
    - best hook-up
    - lowest top speed (anywhere from 2 - 4 mph slower)

Skat R swirl
    - OK hook-up
    - speed loss not as great

Solas Dynafly
    - poor hook-up
    - very good top speed

VX110 Solas Concord
    - poor hook-up
    - potentially the best top speed

If you use a 158 pump then you will have to use 158 impellers and pump liners. Impros can convert a 155 impeller (Dynafly or Concord) to be used with a 158 pump.

Again, the 4 stroke motors make so much HP I would suggest you use a Skat Full swirl impeller. The only exception to this would be for radar runs when you might try a Dynafly or a Concord.
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 02-24-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Thank you Phillip...very good information presented in very clear terms!

Any others' experience, advice, or info is much appreciated!

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    nicely done phil. cant wait to get my cf hood too
    Last edited by hydrojunkie; 02-24-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Alright Phil...or anyone else for that matter...

I have the Skat 155mm 14 vein setback...

I have an Skat 8 vein non-setback...not sure about 155 or 158mm...likely 155

Which would be better for outright TOP SPEED....with all other factors being equal...?

Do you need a prop for that 155mm 14vane?
    I have some Skat Swirls.

You can go 80+ with Swirl in a 155 and/or a 158. Its been done many times with 1200 motors but as Philip_GRP mentioned the swirl is the best for hookup and can cost a couple on top but they get there quick in any water condition

Yes, I might be interested in some props...thank you...

Keep in mind I am using this pump/prop combo on a GPRXP conversion ski...this ski should be capable of 90+ mph with a standard GPR 05+ pump and maybe even the earlier pumps...

This ski will be producing big HP numbers...it will be a Stage 3+ RXP motor in the ski...

This same powerplant setup usually produces 81-82+ mph in the RXP hull...the GPR hull is usually capable of +10 mph over the same powerplant setup in an RXP hull...

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I would think that if you are going balls out top speed forget the skat pump, and stick with the 05 yami pump. If rough water hookup is a concern, then spend your coin on a skat pump. I have no experience, but that's what I learned from reading old threads. I plan on sticking with the stock 05 yami pump on my conversion with a stock 215 motor, and expect no less than 83mph.

I also think that a stage 3+ motor is capable of much more than 90 plus with the right hull setup, and you better be careful.

+1
    I will shed more light on this subject in the comming weeks...I will say a skat 155 or 158 is most likely not going to be the hot pump set up for the gprxps..More to come later... FYI...throw out everything you ever learned about pump set ups when talking about conversion skis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information