Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Head gasket failures, input

There have been some head gasket failures reported on our Rxp/Ts ... not very many, but I would love to hear from anybody that has blown a head gasket. Particularly, what SC, ECU, intercooler & injectors were you running? And brand & octane of gas if possible ... I am just curious if some setups are more prone to blowing head gaskets than others ...

A friend of mine just warned me to be careful where you buy premium ... since so many people who don't need premium gas for their cars buy it anyway, sometimes thinking (incorrectly) that it will give them more power, that some station owners 'premium' tanks do NOT contain premium, and nobody catches them on it, and consumers just don't know if 'bad gas' is the cause of blowing a head gasket ... so it is possible that in some cases the setup was safe and the gas was bad. I am still interested in setup info from everyone who has had gasket failure though.

+1
    I replaced my head gasket last year toward the end of summer. It was pressurising the cooling system causeing the coolant tank to overflow into the hull. The cause was not from bad gas as there was no detonation damage to the pistons, everything was fine its just that the gasket was deteriorating. Basically I have a stage II setup with the green wheel and Riva rear air. The ski still ran great just blew out coolant after a hard run.

+1
    Same description of problem on mine. I always run 93 octane. I have blown 2 or 3 not sure which...lol. I blew the first one after the B kit was installed, 50# injectors,RR ecu, fuel controller.etc.... then another one later on. Now I am running the Block guard, which I believe is helping it from flexing under high rpms, and a Rude charger, and the Lower compression ratio CP pistons, So far no more problems with head gaskets . The next time one goes,I'm getting the copper o-ringed head gasket.

+1
    Have a head guy check your head...probably warped.

A HEAD GUY CHECK YOUR HEAD

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Same description of problem on mine. I always run 93 octane. I have blown 2 or 3 not sure which...lol. I blew the first one after the B kit was installed, 50# injectors,RR ecu, fuel controller.etc.... then another one later on. Now I am running the Block guard, which I believe is helping it from flexing under high rpms, and a Rude charger, and the Lower compression ratio CP pistons, So far no more problems with head gaskets . The next time one goes,I'm getting the copper o-ringed head gasket.
    Nice speeds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k7rxp View Post
    A HEAD GUY CHECK YOUR HEAD
    That didn't come out right did it?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    That didn't come out right did it?
    Probably not... but then again, who wants a warped head

I have been lucky so far but here is a story of what happened to a guy that I race with here in New Zealand. GXT bored out with larger pistons external IC B kit and all the extras (was fast when it was going) Blew the head gasket sucked a lung full fo coolant then compressed it and split the block. motor is now junk. The most likley cause was due to the thinner bores due to over size pistons the block was flexing and working aganst the head gasket causing it to fail. This is backed up by the head gasket I have seen from a stage 3 same fault. Conclusion any more than 10 psi and YOU NEED A BLOCK GARD!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Probably not... but then again, who wants a warped head

Ask anyone on this site...they'll say: "Yea, his head is warped".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information