Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Need a little help plz!

Have a 97 SL1050. Rebuilding the whole motor. Do the cylinder heads need to be aligned in any particular order on top of the jugs...like to prevent overheating or to ensure proper cooling flow? Mine don't appear to block any water passages at all, but I'm asking to be sure! Just in case I'm overlooking something obvious. Thanks for any info...the manual says nothing about this and can't find any info on this in the polaris threads.

+1
    The heads should have a "ex" stamped into it.The ex points to the exhaust.Where the ex is it should have a large u shaped cut out,directlt accross from large u cut out,there will be a small u shaped cut out.

Also the 97 SL1050 used 2 different heads on the same engine.They have a part # stamped into them. #1 cylinder(mag) and #3(pto) will have # end with 050. #2 cylinder(center) will use a 025.

There is a difference in compression between the heads.I heard the center compression was lowered because it some how is stronger.??? When I checked compression on my 97 SL1050 all 3 cyl were even.And I deffinetly have a 025 head in center cyl.

+1
    As I recall, the difference in head design is to prevent detonation.

Talking

WOW...I learned something new today! Thanks to the both of ya!!! Found out that all 3 heads were not aligned according to the info above! This explains "why" my temp sensor had been acting up...I'm guessing. Man...in this tear down...I keep finding little, but serious screwups that go along way toward explaining my engine failure! The people who had the ski b4 me did a halfass rebuild with great parts! Go figure... Thanks 4 the help! And yes, the Mag#1 cylinder, PTO#3 cylinders are approx. 15psi higher than the Middle#2 cylinder on a compression check...not sure why, but I'll buy that detonation reasoning 4 a $1! Makes perfect sense. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The heads should have a "ex" stamped into it.The ex points to the exhaust.Where the ex is it should have a large u shaped cut out,directlt accross from large u cut out,there will be a small u shaped cut out.

Also the 97 SL1050 used 2 different heads on the same engine.They have a part # stamped into them. #1 cylinder(mag) and #3(pto) will have # end with 050. #2 cylinder(center) will use a 025.

There is a difference in compression between the heads.I heard the center compression was lowered because it some how is stronger.??? When I checked compression on my 97 SL1050 all 3 cyl were even.And I deffinetly have a 025 head in center cyl.

is it thesame with the slx780 heads?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andy95'slx780 View Post
    is it thesame with the slx780 heads?

No,just the 97 1050

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark30 View Post
    WOW...I learned something new today! Thanks to the both of ya!!! Found out that all 3 heads were not aligned according to the info above! This explains "why" my temp sensor had been acting up...I'm guessing. Man...in this tear down...I keep finding little, but serious screwups that go along way toward explaining my engine failure! The people who had the ski b4 me did a halfass rebuild with great parts! Go figure... Thanks 4 the help! And yes, the Mag#1 cylinder, PTO#3 cylinders are approx. 15psi higher than the Middle#2 cylinder on a compression check...not sure why, but I'll buy that detonation reasoning 4 a $1! Makes perfect sense. Thanks again!!!

Make sure of the head part numbers. With the correct heads, my compression is even.
    Last edited by casey67; 02-26-2008 at 12:15 AM.

I'll have 2 check that out when I get the ski all back together (compression). Heads match what you said. However...discover a couple "new" problems! 1) On the heads of the pistons themselves...there's part #'s and arrows. For reinstalling...those arrows have gotta be pointed where? Exhaust side??? #1 was toward Intake and #2 & #3 were pointed toward Exhaust. Also discovered marginal "pitting" on cylinder #1. Unsure whether this will affect performance later or not. Threw in picts...hopefully the pitting can be seen.
    --First pict. is the cylinder in question...3rd pict is compared to the "clean" cylinders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103-0365_IMG.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	59632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103-0366_IMG.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1,005.1 KB 
ID:	59633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103-0367_IMG.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	59634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103-0368_IMG.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	59635  
    Last edited by markymark30; 02-27-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Further explaining

contact john zigler or hot seat performance for new ones , those looks nasty

Which part? The calcium buildup or the galling??? Cause I haven't cleaned them up yet. Will look into getting new ones though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information