Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: RXP-X Review

+1

RXP-X Review

I picked up my RXP-X this weekend and put a few hours on it. So I thought I would share my initial impressions of the ski.

First I love the color scheme. I really like silver and there is just enough orange to add some color, but not too much to make it look cartoonish. Second, the handle bars and finger throttle are just great. The bars are wider by 3" and the finger throttle is high quality metal with a cool, braided steel throttle cable wire sheath. HUGE improvement over the previous models. No need for a handle bar extension kit (the Riva extensions are only a half inch longer). The seat looks like it it is a little more slip resistant, but it is about the same as the old seats in terms of slip. The mats look cooler, but perform the same as the old ones. Hydroturf will still get business. Enough about the appearance, now for the performance.

The handling is leaps and bounds better than the 215. The nose does not hunt through turns and it will not spin out in a high speed tight turn. But if you are used to the turning on the 215, you better be careful because it wants to turn with very little turning of the bars. It still has the OPAS induced chine walk in the chop, but it stays hooked up much better. It was fairly calm water, so I don't know if the ride is as wet as the 215. But I still plan on installing a BSD.

As previous reviewers have said, the acceleration is much improved. From the dig, it put 2 boat lengths on my stage 1 73 mph RXP. With the trim all the way down, the nose stays planted from the holeshot. With the trim all the way up, it will get air from the holeshot even in glass water. It gets up to speed really quickly, but the top end disappoints. You expect the acceleration to continue, but its like it falls flat on the top. I'm sure this is fixed with a better prop.

After hearing about exhaust clamps coming off, I made sure to check the clamps before and after my ride. I ran a tank and a half of gas through it yesterday and the clamp remained tight. Now I didn't beat on the ski because I do a break-in, albeit an abbreviated one. But so far so good.

Dislikes:
    Gauge cluster - same hard to see cluster from 06
    Start/Stop button - small and partially recessed making it difficult to hit with your thumb.
    Mats - better, but still slippery
    OPAS chine walk - annoying but familiar.
    Top End Speed - with the arm pulling acceleration, you expect more. It's almost like I tossed out an anchor at 7900 RPM. Again, I think a better prop is the answer.
    DESS post - awkward
    Cluttered engine compartment - I didn't tear into it, but when you pull the seat off, it looks awfully busy in there.
    Fear of exhaust clamp popping off - for the first time on a brand new stock ski, I made sure to bring a rope

Overall, I'm very impressed. It needs some tweaking to get all the potential out of it, but it is a good platform to begin with. The handling improvements alone will save you a lot of money on mods. I can't wait to put on a prop and a grate.

+1
    Frank Sounds like a good Ride. Let us know how it pans out after break in.

Did you buy it at Sammy's?
    PM me a Price if you can and if they have some more, so I may call.

Thanks

+1
    thanks for the post, It is good to hear honest reviews.

+1
    Nice right up Frank, I am sure the top end will come around some when it gets broke in.

If your not busy today call me, I am at home - bad news on my dad

+1
    Franko--I am excitted for you--- you lucky dog. Did you get the ski from Rick at Sammy Whites? Thats who I have ordered mine from. Have bought many skis from him. Keep us posted on what mods you make and their results as I will be following in your footsteps---( er maybe I should say in your wakes)

+1
    Ray, yeah I got it from Rick. He told me you were anxious to get yours. I think you are going to like it.

+1

My Garage

Is getting awfully cluttered:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	59376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	59377  

+1
    Austin--The out the door price sitting on your trailer is $12,507. Hell of a deal. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Is getting awfully cluttered:
    Franko, nice colection of rxp,s. I noticed that your seat on the new x looks different. (looks better) Is that already been moded or a seat from one of your other skis.
    Also, I am buying a T-X and was wondering if you can give me your dealers number to call for a quote.

Thanks

Franko..thanks for the write up. Glad to hear you are impressed. Makes me a little more impatient then I already was, for mine as it will probably be another month for me.
    Should be interesting to see how much acceleration improves with a prop and grate...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information