Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    250 horses and only one jocky

Question OIL warning light

Hi, i have taken my 2005 RXT out today after fixing a leaky intercooler which made it run a bit spluttery, (Thanks to all of you that helped diagnose this). It ran fine for about 5 mins then whilst going about 70 the red light came on and bleeped once loudly then OIL was displayed on the Dash, it also seemed to not run very well whilst this was displayed, it then goes when decelerating??....I have checked the oil level and its fine. Could anyone help please?! Thanks

+1
    That's an oil pressure alarm. It's either a bad sensor or your oil pressure is low. Have you had a ceramic SC washer failure?

Have asked the previous owner and he claims h has never had any problems with it. It has the S3 supercharger on tho and Riva BOV which i will remove as i believe it is leaking slightly on acceleraion.
    So the pressure alarm, is that low or high and if the sensor is reading correctly, what causes high or low pressure?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz RXT View Post
    So the pressure alarm, is that low or high and if the sensor is reading correctly, what causes high or low pressure?
    Low pressure. Bad oil pump(s) cause this usually.

Thanks Franko thats a help, just got to take it to my local Seadoo dealer and plug it into the ECU computer diagnosis thing. How difficult is it to change the oil pump is it a major strip down lots of £. And if it was just the sensor which one is the pressure one (is it the one under the air intake manifold that you suspect is faulty?) Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz RXT View Post
    Thanks Franko thats a help, just got to take it to my local Seadoo dealer and plug it into the ECU computer diagnosis thing. How difficult is it to change the oil pump is it a major strip down lots of £. And if it was just the sensor which one is the pressure one (is it the one under the air intake manifold that you suspect is faulty?) Thanks
    I'm not real familiar with the RXT, but I suspect that if you really have low oil pressure (the dealer should check the pressure), both oil pumps need to be removed and inspected. The front pump is easy to remove. The back pump is in the PTO cover and is a more difficult job.

There's an oil pressure test port on the lower side of the oil filter housing, towards the front of the ski. If you take the plug out, you can take it an autoparts store and get a manual oil pressure guage with the correct NPT threads. With the engine cold at idle, your oil pressure should be between 44-58 PSI. When warm at idle, the pressure should be no less than 23 PSI. When running and hot, you should see 44-58 PSI. If the pressure measurement is good, the oil sending unit is bad; if the pressure is low, the pumps could be bad, bearings could be bad, etc... Good luck... Ron

+1
    My gears weren`t too bad but the aluminum housing was toast in both pumps. Front worse or no pto cover one. Tony (chasing the sun) had probs with his housing due to ceramic failures. After I showed him whats up the dealer fixed it. Change the pumps/housings and you`ll be good to go. Not bad on price but a lil labor. All in all,,,you`ll learn alot about your ski. And realize it ain`t that hard. These things are easy.

+1
    I've seen on several occasions the preasure relief valve sticks.

Pressure relief valve

Is the pressure relief valve under the rear oil filter housing as this is hard to get to? a pic would help cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information