Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals

those of you who tow with a car/small SUV

Do you take long trips? I dont think I could handle not having the piece of mind when towing a 2500lb trailer unless I had a vehicle made to tow that much and more importantly tow it well and stop well. My dad used to tow our mastercraft with a station wagon, and that thing did not like to stop well.

Sometimes I tow 700 miles a weekend or more through hills and mountains and really really really hate seing people in explorers or expeditions towing pontoon boats or other things.

I tow 2 skis with my toyota minivan. I tow up to about 250 miles. THat is as far as I have gone so far. I often tow from my house to my lake house for the weekend which is 115 miles each way.

It sucks up gas, doesnt accelerate well and doesnt brake well. And it rides real low so when I go to launch the skis the water is practically up to the bumper.

If the launch is slick it can be hard to pull them out. But at least it is front wheel drive.

I am looking at getting a chevy avalanche.

I also really think that if we tow a lot a transmission cooler is a good idea and of course my minivan does not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    I tow 2 skis with my toyota minivan. I tow up to about 250 miles. THat is as far as I have gone so far. I often tow from my house to my lake house for the weekend which is 115 miles each way.

It sucks up gas, doesnt accelerate well and doesnt brake well. And it rides real low so when I go to launch the skis the water is practically up to the bumper.

If the launch is slick it can be hard to pull them out. But at least it is front wheel drive.

I am looking at getting a chevy avalanche.

I also really think that if we tow a lot a transmission cooler is a good idea and of course my minivan does not have one.
    Have you had any major failures or lost any brakes from pulling it with your van?

I've had too many times towing having the pucker factor trying to hit the brakes because of someone irresponsible in front of me. I'm all for overkill towing, I use a diesel pickup with 4 wheel disk/anti-lock brakes... but I dont have a family yet either so it works for me.

I use a 2003 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 L V-6 with plenty of torque and grunt to get them out. I pull a RXT and RXP with it any where from 60 miles a day or up to 500 miles to my family's home in Ohio. Pulls great brakes great and can still pass people. I run abotu 70-75 on the highway, I can feel both skis now but when it was ust he RXP never really thought it was there. Great little truck, damn wife wants the Grand Cherokee Overlander.

Gary

I towed MY 04 RXP with my Explorer from Florida back to Ohio. It seemed to do pretty good on gas and Mileage.
    Lee

No I havent had any failures towing with the van. I keep plenty of room between me and the car in front of me. I haven't had too brake hard yet. The times that I had to brake semi hard I can tell I may have trouble if I need to slam on my brakes!

I have run some red lights though. I had to decide if I can beat the yellow or brake real hard. A few times I didn't make the light.

I really dont like towing with it at all. It may be different if I had a single trailer but I have a double with 2 skis.

+1
    Greetings--

2004 Explorer w/ V6 automatic, towing 2) GTX SC Doos.

I can certianly tell they're back there ! I can feel them pushing/pulling when on the highway.

I feel the vehicle pulls them OK. I turn the overdrive (OD) off when traveling smaller roads. We travel a good bit on the interstate. Once I get up to speed and crusing, I turn the OD back on and dont feel it shifting in/out.

Ive considered getting a larger vehicle w/ V8 for a smoother ride. But-- since a large majority of my drivin is w/o the Doos, not sure the hit in all time gas milage is worth it.

heck, I even want an exhaust brake sometimes.

I tow with a lexus es300. Most of my tows are over an hour with occasional 2 hour trips. I have the ski far enough back to wear I can lift the tongue with my hand with not much force. I use a boatbuckle.com on the front to connect to the front eye and rachet ties on the back. This stops the ski from bouncing.

with my ski and a full tank it's pretty smooth. If I move the ski more forward with more weight on the tongue I can feel when it bounces.
    I have a class 2. 250lb tongue 2500 load

+1

Re: those of you who tow with a car/small SUV

Quote Originally Posted by theantiRXP
    Do you take long trips? I dont think I could handle not having the piece of mind when towing a 2500lb trailer unless I had a vehicle made to tow that much and more importantly tow it well and stop well. My dad used to tow our mastercraft with a station wagon, and that thing did not like to stop well.

Sometimes I tow 700 miles a weekend or more through hills and mountains and really really really hate seing people in explorers or expeditions towing pontoon boats or other things.
    "Mountains" around central MO?

I travel the hills in the Ozarks around Branson at least twice a year, some are steep but most steep hills are straight and short. I've done them with my Suburban towing my 4 place loaded, weighing in over 7K which is about the same weight as the 3/4 ton Burb, coming from Colorado. I tow in the mountains of CO with my motorhome and Burb; if you're towing anything over 2500 lbs on terrain other than flat, you better have brakes on the trailer and use your gears. I've only seen one semi use a runaway ramp on I-70 west of Denver. I'll bet the trucker's butt puckered up real tight. The smell of hot brakes is distinct. Just like burning clutch.

Towing 2500lbs with a heavy car is ok as long as the trailer has brakes. If not, don't expect to "panic" stop. The key is to keep more distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information