Difference in Handeling between skegs...

I am going to send my ride plate to Jim to get reworked, but I am not sure if I want to add the skegs or not. (if I decide to go with the skegs, I would have them welded by Jim. I'm not going to be able to just remove the skegs if I dont like them.) I have read that some people have gained top speed and others have only improved handeling wise.

Is there a difference between adding the skegs vs running a different set of sponsons like the RIVA ones. Are the skegs going to give more than just handeling ? Will aftermarket sponsons get me the handeling the skegs are going to get me. ?????

+1
    The skegs will make your ski grip like its on rails. I really like the skegs best when running thru chop. The ski tracks straight as an arrow. Most people gain 1+ mph from the skegs alone.

If you like to do lots of spin outs then the skegs are probably not for you.

+1
    +1 on the skegs....I ride rough gulf waters and i track right thru it and riva adj. sponsors are great for handling with the skegs... i found out not to do quick donuts when i first got my skegs unless you want to be thrown off since it dont hook up when u spin out..rear end just slides

I just put them on and have only ridden once with them, but so far I like it. I also sanded my ride plate at the same time I put the skegs on and I picked up 1.6 mph with more fuel the I had tested the speed before. I can't say how much came from which the skegs or the ride plate, but they are worth it. It does handle different, remember this is on my RXT, I don't know if a RXP will act different. It turns a lot sharper and feels stable when I turn at higher speed. As for 180*s and things like that like I like to do some times I don't know how it will be. I don't think I will be able to spin it around like I use to, but I'll take the trade off.

i guess im going to give them a try.

ugh i was so set on skegs seemed like an excellent gain for the price...but i love being able to do spin outs and such don't think i could give that up...

Thread Information