Thread: Old boats?

Old boats?

So where do these things go? Noticed that most posts are newer machines. Where do the old ones go? People trash them, give up on them?
    Any thoughts?

JetBoating.net is the opposite of this place, mostly older boats and very few newer ones. I can guess that since this is a performance forum, it's geared more for the newer boats, as the owner of an older boat would be more concerned with maintenance, rather that pushing the envelope on horsepower.

Jetboating.net

I have been on that board and its ealier version for 10 years. It is all newer
    stuff now. You are correct about the flavor of the boards. They are pretty
    much maint., operations, buying stuff. Over the years, performance questions
    were rare, and turfed to other boards.
    So, there are several thousand older boats out there. Where do they physically go? It will become more of an issue when Sea doo stops supporting
    them. I will be curious to see if an after market entity picks up the slack.

I just picked up a 96 speedster with one good running engine and one clean engine that got wet and needs crank rebuild and top end done. The thing is dirty. It was $300, if that answers your question about them. I think alot of folks didn't care for them properly and they have since blown the motors and have been junked. The big problem with them is how low the engines sit and water geting in there and making a mess. Thats what happpend on this one. Scupper clogged and backfiled engine comp with water. Boat was leaning that way and the drivers side engine got water in through the carbs, not much, but enough to wet the crank and sieze it up. Shame it just sank on the trailer. They should have left the plug out. This kind of thing on a ski is the end of the line too, just usually not as much money, but the yards are starting to fill with skis from the mid 90's now due to their age.

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Superjet View Post
    Boat was leaning that way and the drivers side engine got water in through the carbs, not much, but enough to wet the crank and sieze it up. Shame it just sank on the trailer. They should have left the plug out.
    Sank on the trailer...Katrina boat?

No, just rainwater. Actually Igot all the water out tonight and the motor fired right up after it blew out the water oil mix. It was a mess getting it out since you can't really turn over a boat, but I got it fired up and running. The crank has suffered a little from the water, you can tell it will not last to long, it has that loud sound to it like it's getting loose. The other motor is running fine and it nice and quite. I'm going to pressure wash it all off and clean the bilge and put it up for sale. I have 4 other skis that need motor jobs that I already have people waiting to buy. It will be mid summer b4 I could work on this thing. It will need the motor pulled and torn down, rebuilt crank or good used crank and new rings with a hone to set and a new gasket kit. Like I said motor is running good now, but the big end bearings are a little louder than I would like to hear, so it really just needs the inside freshened up. You can do it yourself for under $500 or just buy an SBT and be done with it. Boats hull is good, but seat bottoms on the 3 side by sides are starting to crack. Front seat pads are in good shape. Motors are clean. This was a freshwater unit.
    What do you think it's worth??? I was going to ask arround $1250 for it with the trailer.

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    I couldn't tell ya..I'm still a noob to boating.

The way things are going, sell it NOW and sell it quick...the longer you hold, the less anyone will be in the buying mood (The Big "R" Word).

Upholstory can get pretty pricey, from what I've seen on the forums.

Sorry for the thread-jack Paulie...well, you get an idea where *some* of the old ones go, anyhoo.

Thread Information