Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Unhappy Forgot to torque plugs...

Over the weekend I took off my exhaust to dial in my carbs a hair because the water is starting to warm up. Guess what I did because I wanted to get back on the water the next day.
    First, I forgot to tighten my plugs, they were only hand tight. There is more, second my stinger wasnt seated properly in the rubber gasket so my boat was leaking.
    So to cut to the chase i went out on the water and the ski would not go over 20 mph. I thought it was the carbs but was way wrong, the first thing I saw when I took off my seat was a whole bunch of crap all of riva cylinder head and then saw water coming in at the water box.
    My ski day was over. I took everything out dried everything out and now I need some advice from you guys. I know what I did was stupid but what can I expect or will it be ok once I get it put back together proparly........ Everyone is entitled to one bad day and a couple of stupid mistakes , right?????

have you run a compression test?

+1
    I will tomorrow after I double check everything. Was getting 150psi across all 3 cyl with one layer of oem gasket. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

should be fine. sounds like your motor was just choking on its own exhaust

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Over the weekend I took off my exhaust to dial in my carbs a hair because the water is starting to warm up. Guess what I did because I wanted to get back on the water the next day.
    First, I forgot to tighten my plugs, they were only hand tight. There is more, second my stinger wasnt seated properly in the rubber gasket so my boat was leaking.
    So to cut to the chase i went out on the water and the ski would not go over 20 mph. I thought it was the carbs but was way wrong, the first thing I saw when I took off my seat was a whole bunch of crap all of riva cylinder head and then saw water coming in at the water box.
    My ski day was over. I took everything out dried everything out and now I need some advice from you guys. I know what I did was stupid but what can I expect or will it be ok once I get it put back together proparly........ Everyone is entitled to one bad day and a couple of stupid mistakes , right?????
    I had a plug come lose and burn a hole in a piston. Pull your heads or get a scope and check the pistons.

+1
    That is what I am hoping...To think I was doing 69mph the day before and then you get 4200rpm's the next day really sucks...Thanks Miami 1300...

+1
    Will do...I will let you guys no what happens over the next couple of days..

+1
    You are not alone...I made this mistake a couple of years ago. Hopefully you will be ok.

+1
    So far so good, checked out pistons the tops and sides look good. Will install exhaust tomorrow night, then do a compression check and then water test this weekend...Sure is nice to be in Florida...Although the building industry still really sucks..Especially for a CAD Designer...

+1
    I wouldn't worry so much about the loose plugs as I would be about the water injestion for the coupler leaking water on top of the open style flame arrestors that your running. I would be taking your compression test, then trying to get some extra lube in the cylinders and the bottom end. Then get it running asap. Time is not your friend right now. Get it running, then get it on the flush kit. Then relube everything until you can get it out this weekend. Any other questions? You know where to find me.
    TCR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information