Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

750 engine ready for install?

I'm almost ready to reinstall my engine after cleaning out all of the needle bearings from the case but I have a few questions.

1. Will the engine fit through the hull opening with the exhaust manifold installed or does it have to be put on later?

2. What is the nipple on the intake manifold at the pto carb for? I just noticed it. It is only on that one hole and it is plugged.

3. Does piston wash show up when the engine is run on the hose or will it take several minutes of running in the higher rpm range to start dialing?

Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	750 almost ready.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	59531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake man. nipple.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	59532  

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stpolaris View Post
    I'm almost ready to reinstall my engine after cleaning out all of the needle bearings from the case but I have a few questions.

1. Will the engine fit through the hull opening with the exhaust manifold installed or does it have to be put on later?Yes it will,But have the exhaust pipe sitting in the hull first,it's sorta of a puzzle.

2. What is the nipple on the intake manifold at the pto carb for? I just noticed it. It is only on that one hole and it is plugged.
    That would be another place to pick up vacuum I beleve for the fuel pump,You'll be using the one below it in the cases.
    3. Does piston wash show up when the engine is run on the hose or will it take several minutes of running in the higher rpm range to start dialing?Piston wash will take a few hours or more to really show up,Before it does,do plug chops and loook at the spark plugs. (To do a plug chop,run a short distance at WOT,Then pull the laynard while holding the throttle open.Then pull the plugs and read them)

Here are some pics.
    Double check those plugs,I perfer NGK's in a ski.

Parts house didn't have the right ngk's when I went to get them on the last attempt. It ran good while the piston lasted but I will change them out before I run this time. These autolite racing plugs are suppose to be the equiv. to the ngk 8's. Would you say 7s,8, or 9's would be my safest bet? Doesn't ngk have lower # on hotter plug?

That would be another place to pick up vacuum I beleve for the fuel pump,You'll be using the one below it in the cases.

On the outside of the reeds it would only get vacuum, no pulse for a fuel pump.
    Last edited by 1stpolaris; 02-26-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: More info in reply

Spark Plugs

NGK's the lower the number the hotter they are.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1

"On the outside of the reeds it would only get vacuum, no pulse for a fuel pump"

Good catch! You are correct.Shot myself in the foot on that one.
    So now there's still a question to be answered. What was it there for in the first place. Because you really don't use it.
    Last edited by Keddano; 02-26-2008 at 05:23 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    1. The engine will fit with the exh. manifold mounted, but may need to twist on it's side a bit.

2. The fittings on the older intake manifold was for carb syncrinization. Not sure what the 1 fitting was for?

3. Piston wash will only show after WOT passes. You do not want to run your engine on a garden hose at any high RPM. There is no load, and can run away. Not good.

Start with 9's and work your way down if needed

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by woollums View Post
    Start with 9's and work your way down if needed
    No need. 8's are the preferred plug to use. 9's are for beefed up engines producing more BTU's.

i assumed this was a race engine

TRIKER

Unhappy 750 Sl 1994 No Spark Help!

Just Got 2 Polaris Skis The Trouble I'm Having Is I Had Spark In Both Machines And Lost Spark. I Got Them In Shop They Don't Know Whats Wrong . Need Help Bad . Paying Big And Getting No Were.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information