Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I also have oil warning and limp mode

I have an 05 rxt with 50 hrs on it. In Dec I had the 50 hr service done, and had them look at the starter cause it sounded like it was spinning. The dealer called and said my battery was dead, and after a long charge, the ski started right up. They did the service and I picked it up. My warranty ran out feb 1st, on feb 17 I took the ski out for the first time since picking it up, and the battery was dead, so I charged it. Ski started right up so I drove it out but it was sluggish, then beeped, said "oil" Then went into limp home mode. I got it home, and the engine felt like it was hitting on only 2 cylinders. But later when I started it is sounded fine, but gave me the word sensor on dash, and I got a code p1517 which should not give it limp mode. Today, I decided to try it again, and it started right up and sounded fine, so I turned it off, then pushed it into the water, and when i started it again, it was hitting on two again, then wouldnt start. On my other rxt, when the battery goes dead, it clicks, it does not sound like the starter is spinning. Any Ideas?

You might want to start by checking the oil level. The ski needs to be level, the engine warm and idle for 30 seconds. This can be done on the trailer, but you need to verify that the rub rails of the ski are level. Also, if you run the ski on the trailer, you will see the Sensor alarm if the ski has the depth finder. Next, I would check to make sure the battery connections are tight. Since you have an '05, the OEM battery can be shot, or the electrolyte level can be down. After charging the battery, you should do a load test on it. If you don't have a load tester, places like Auto Zone willl check it for free. If you need a new battery, consider one of the sealed AGM batteries that is essentially maintenance free and shoud last much longer than the OEM battery... Ron

+1
    I agree check the oil level, the RXT will shut down and go into engine-protection mode when oil gets low. I checked mine in the water, and after properly adding oil it stopped.

Also make sure you follow correct procedure for adding oil, it's easy to overfill these things and it sometimes only takes a little to get her back in order. Start engine after adding a little oil, run for 30 seconds, then shut it off and check the stick, repeat as needed. It's in the manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I agree check the oil level, the RXT will shut down and go into engine-protection mode when oil gets low. I checked mine in the water, and after properly adding oil it stopped.

Also make sure you follow correct procedure for adding oil, it's easy to overfill these things and it sometimes only takes a little to get her back in order. Start engine after adding a little oil, run for 30 seconds, then shut it off and check the stick, repeat as needed. It's in the manual.

Hitting on 2 Cylinders Not good!

I did check oil while on the water when It happened and it looked fine, but will do again today. When its cold, it runs great for about 30 seconds, then goes into the runs on 2 thing.

+1
    An 05 with only 50 hours has been sitting in storage for a while... sounds like it sits still for months at a time. You need to start riding that thing more. Try new plugs and fresh gas? Gas starts going bad after a few weeks, you might look to a product called STABIL, available at Walmart, here's a link:
    http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/index.htm
    Last edited by YoYamma; 02-27-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Does bad gas cause anything I am experiencing?

Will cause sluggish ski and rough idle. Plugs could be bad also.

got battery today

I put the new battery in, and nothing, it would turn over, then go into spin mode. I will take it to dealer as soon as I put the new bearings on my trailer.

Still in shop

Dealer has ski, they put in a new battery, (I took out the new battery I put in, and put it into my other rxt), then they called to say it is working fine. I suggested a water trial, and low and behold, I get a phone call telling me my seadoo is "messed up". well that was last saterday, and they still havent fixed it. They know it is one of the oil sensors, but they are not sure which one. I will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information