250 Ultra, one year later....

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, so far learned a lot by reading past threads.

I bought my 250 ultra one year ago from walts motorsports in Havasu City Arizona. I do all my riding out at the River around the needles area as my friend has a house there right on the water.

I put about 25 hours on it over the course of the season, and i noticed a couple of things that i hoped you could help put in perspective for me.

1.) The gas consumption is TERRIBLE. i make it to the sand bar and back on one tank of gas, it shouldnt take 20 gallons. Also im to understand that the stock fuel hose dosent go all the way to the bottom of the tank? there are still 5 gallons that are unaccessable? is this true? sounds like bullshit to me either way.

2.) I had to replace the battery after about 6 hours riding time, does that sound right to you? it was never left on, always washed waxed covered and trailered after every ride. the problem started as what seemed like a misfire, it was loosing power and cutting out randomly on me at speed, i replaced the battery and had no more problems.

3.) it pulls to the left, significantly, so much so that i need almost constant pressure on the right handle bar to keep it straight. i had the entire machine serviced at the end of the season last october, and they found a small rock lodged in the port side of the venturi, they said that might have been the issue.

4.) it burns oil pretty quickly, is this SOP for this machine?

5.) I'd like to set it apart from my buddies 250 (matching red machines) and mods i should look into that wont void the warranty or lose out on top end speed?

thanks guys

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Forum,

Take a look around a lil bit see whats already been discussed, and if you have more question, we all will be glad to help you out, this is a good starting point..........http://www.floridasmarthomes.com/teammoto/?cat=1

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    I'll quickly address #3....your steering nozzle likely needs adjustment. Pick up a service manual for your first purchase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Welcome to the Forum,

Take a look around a lil bit see whats already been discussed, and if you have more question, we all will be glad to help you out, this is a good starting point..........http://www.floridasmarthomes.com/teammoto/?cat=1
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    I'll quickly address #3....your steering nozzle likely needs adjustment. Pick up a service manual for your first purchase.
    +2

Reus, coupla quick answers.

Stock fuel pick up cannot reach the last 3 galls or so. I thought it was odd design feature as well but got used to it quick esp once I understood that fuel buzzer goes off with as much as 7 galls left.

I think it would be very unusual for batty to give out after just 20hrs. I wouldnt toss the batty without testing it first. Its a good idea to connect batty to batt tender after every use to keep it topped up with power. You can also monitor daily power drain by watching how long it takes to fully charge on tender. You may have had a loose batt connection. Engine can sputter or cut out with loose connection.

Ultra does have a noticeable left lean with low speed hard right turn. I almost rolled ski a few times until I got used to it. Its just a quirk of deep V hull.

You do have to monitor oil level carefully and change oil more often than manual recommends. The issue reported has usually been rising oil level (due to fuel dilution), however, not oil burn as you describe. If you are burning noticeable quantities of oil at 20hrs, I would report that to the dealer and have it checked out.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Blue 182; 02-29-2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information