2008 RXT break in period

Hello everyone. I just bought an 08 RXT, very excited, getting delivered at the end of march. Just had a few questions about the break in period. Now ive been on jet skis for years now, just never owned one for myself. And i know the temptation of hitting that throttle and blasting away. What are the recomended "guidlines" for breaking this machine in? Can you really hurt it by pegging that throttle the first 2 seconds you got it in the water? And is there any recomended speed you should stay at? I find it very hard to believe that im going to be able to control myself for a whole 10 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXTSpeed8500 View Post
    Hello everyone. I just bought an 08 RXT, very excited, getting delivered at the end of march. Just had a few questions about the break in period. Now ive been on jet skis for years now, just never owned one for myself. And i know the temptation of hitting that throttle and blasting away. What are the recomended "guidlines" for breaking this machine in? Can you really hurt it by pegging that throttle the first 2 seconds you got it in the water? And is there any recomended speed you should stay at? I find it very hard to believe that im going to be able to control myself for a whole 10 hours.
    This is a hotly debated topic. Some say you need to take it easy on the throttle for ten hours and some say you need to pin the throttle right off the trailer. The goal of break-in is to have the piston rings properly seat in the cylinders. My personal opinion (and just an opinion) is that seating occurrs within 2-3 hours of varying RPM riding which includes some short WOT bursts. But your mileage may vary.

BREAK IN

I THINK THAT IT HAS DONE EVERYTHING IT NEEDS TO DO IN THE FIRST HOUR. (MY OPINION) BUT WHEN I GOT MINE I TOOK IT EASY ON IT FOR THE FIRST TANK OF GAS JUST TO MAKE SURE. VARIED THE RPM RANGE NOT HOLDING IT STEDY.

Ok, Well that seems reasonable. And If no catastofic problems occured with yours then i will most likely take your advice. And now that you mention Gas. How many hours you you get to a tank approx on average usage???

+1
    Ok, Well that seems reasonable. And If no catastofic problems occured with yours then i will most likely take your advice. And now that you mention Gas. How many hours you you get to a tank approx on average usage???
    I will chime in here on this one. The gas consumption all depends on what rpms you are running at. or anotherwords how long and wide do you hold the throtle open.
    When I am doing speed test and only have a few bars or maybe three bars it does not take long when wot for top speed to make the buzzer go off. So I would say in those cases not very good gas mileage, but that is just the nature of the game unfortuneatly or atleast that is my experience.
    Last edited by skoepp; 02-28-2008 at 07:14 PM.

GAS

FOR THE BREAK IN TANK I HAD ABOUT 4.5 HOURS.
    BUT THE REST MY AVERAGE IS ABOUT 3-4 HOURS PER TANK, BUT I DONT RIDE VERY HARD. FROM THE BEST OF MY CACULATIONS I GET ABOUT 6-8 MILES PER GALLON.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I will chime in here on this one. The gas consumption all depends on what rpms you are running at. or anotherwords how long and wide do you hold the throtle open.
    When I am doing speed test and only have a few bars or maybe three bars it does not take long when wot for top speed to make the buzzer go off. So I would say in those cases not very good gas mileage, but that is just the nature of the game unfortuneatly or atleast that is my experience.
    sorry about that reply, i need to slow down and read things better. my bad.

With the X being my first ski, I asked green hulk on the proper break in, here is what he said to me

"It's actually real important that you do ride the ski hard. You only have a small window of opportunity to seat the rings in. Give the ski a good warm up and start giving it some short bursts of 3/4 to full throttle. Vary the RPM's for the first 4-5 hours. (Don't cruise and hold the throttle at the same RPM for too long) After 5 hours consider it broken in. "

Figure he knows his stuff

GTI SE 155
    Sounds good but....
    Will SeaDoo refuse an engine warranty claim if they see that you didn't
    "baby" it the first 10 hours? I'm sure the engine managemant computer stores the owners throttle behavior.
    Can anyone verify/ refute my hypothesis?

Quote Originally Posted by fastexas View Post
    Sounds good but....
    Will SeaDoo refuse an engine warranty claim if they see that you didn't
    "baby" it the first 10 hours? I'm sure the engine managemant computer stores the owners throttle behavior.
    Can anyone verify/ refute my hypothesis?
    no. (at least my dealer wont) i talked to my dealer about this and he said they have nut-jobs that go WOT in the break-in which isnt bad itself, but they hold it WOT forever....not varying rpms whatsoever.

he said as long as you keep varying rpms and not going very fast or very slow for extended periods of time, then you should be fine.

again everyone has their opinions so...

Thread Information