+1

Rxp cavitating badly, water in hull

well currently my ski is broken Went out for a spin today and last time I rode it was in the supercourse at Region 8's last race. I wasnt on it for even 15mins. When I left my dock to go to a friend to practice with him I noticed the ski was cavitating some but I didnt really think too much about it. Then when I got there they were settin up bouey and what not so I decided to do some speed runs and when I went to gun it from idle it wouldnt get on plane. It was hiting bout 5000rpms before it finally hooked. So I poped my seat and water coming in. So I quickly brought it to my friends dock and they put it on their lift to see where the water was coming from. From what I saw the water was pooring out from the intake grate and the water was coming off of the drive shaft. So my guess would be that the clamp or w/e blockin water from coming in is broke or gone. I did find a piece of a clamp in my hull. What do you all thing it is? I'm gladin I was already skipping racing at Wildwood,NJ next weekend.

+1
    Your carbon seal is leaking and when it does it causes cavitation as it is letting air in the pump.
    Check it all out.

+1
    Mine is doing the same thing and I just pulled the ring and it looks fine see picture . I am going to replace anyway. I did notice that the last 2 times I took the pump off the prop was loose. I am leaning to my prop being my problem, I could not even go over idle speed even when I would bump the gas, with the prop loose. Thought it was the carbon ring or I would have towed it back in. I am going to locktite my prop this time! May never come off again! Won't come loose though!
    Last edited by Tennessee; 07-15-2007 at 01:09 AM.

+1
    Thanks guys. I'll check the carbon seal

+1
    Ok bear with me as my ski isn't at home to look at, but if I remember correctly it has a grease fitting down by the pto and if this grease fitting is not greased properly you will have to much play in the driveshaft(forward and backward) and this will not allow a tight fit for the carbon ring. So under the extrem load of the pump it is pulled away and leaks.
    And this leak is in both ways... Water in ski and air out of it causeing the cavitation. Just check to see if you have a tight fit and no play and grease that fitting.

+1
    Check for oscillation at carbon ring.

Thread Information