Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twisted off bolt

Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out? I was removing the intake grate and it twisted off. Drilled it and broke off a easy out. I used heat but it still broke. These bolts are very soft. Is this tab on the ride plate solid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1331.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	59838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1330.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	59839  

+1
    Heat and visegrips.... or drill and easy out

I would try drilling it again, make sure you get a good hole and get the extractor in there really good. Then SOAK it down with penetrating oil like PB blaster etc and let it sit for awhile. Repeat the penetrating oil, and if you have some co2 use that to freeze the broken bolt (try to focus the gas on the bolt and not the surrounding metal). Heating the surrounding metal slightly can help also. If you don't have co2, there is a brand of penetrating oil that also cools the metal. I got some from an auto parts store but I've yet to try it out on a really stubborn bolt yet. Point is, every little bit helps when you're trying to extract a broken bolt like this. Once you've done everything you can, try working the extractor a little to try and break the bond. If you get it to move a little, soak it back down with more penetrating oil and wait a little bit (again) for it to soak in. It takes a lot of patience but you can go by feel if the bolt seems like its going to come out then go for it. If not then take it very slowly. If the extractor fails, you're going to have to drill the thing out by slowly using larger drill bits until you get close to the threads. This is where centering and aligning your first hole becomes critical. Once you get a lot of the meat out of it, try an extractor again. If you know the bolt size/thread, you may be able to run a tap down through it if you drill the bolt out enough. You run the risk of damaging the threads, but if so hopefully you have enough surrounding meat to drill and tap it to the next size larger bolt, or heli-core it if not.

Sorry for the long post but I don't know how much of this you already knew or not so I just ran through everything. I'm sure there will be other good suggestions too
    Last edited by FSTNG; 02-28-2008 at 07:52 PM.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    if you got a easy out stuck in there now the only thing you can do is use a carbide drill bit.. the easy out in hardened steel and is a harder material then the average drill bit (HHS)..
    you may have to pull the plate to get it out.

I'm pretty sure I've seen others drill an tap a coupla holes in that tab...I guess the same thing happened....and why I'm skeered of taking my riva grate off for the stocker.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidacceleration View Post
    if you got a easy out stuck in there now the only thing you can do is use a carbide drill bit.. the easy out in hardened steel and is a harder material then the average drill bit (HHS)..
    you may have to pull the plate to get it out.
    +1

Yeah, if the extractor is broken off and stuck in the bolt, you are in for a fight. I hate it when this happens, you will most likely need to put it on a drill press (best way to do this anyway). I had a small extractor snap off in a broken brake bleeder screw on a vehicle once. Definite grounds for a curse fest

Good advise. I tried to grind the broken extractor out with a #30 carbide file. I got about .25" in before the file dulled. I'll get another one tomorrow. If anybody knows if this tab is solid, I'm putting in a larger stainless steel bolt if I ever get this thing out. Looks like the loc tite is my biggest problem (and the broken extractor). If I ever get another hole in this should I up the heat to break the loc tite with a propane torch or go with shrinking the bolt with co2?

+1
    The Tab Is Solid Todd

if there is access to a welder and part of the bolt still sticking out it may be possible to weld a washer to the bolt then a nut to the washer and then try to take it out and the heat from welding will help loosen it up....can't tell how much is sticking out in the pic but that is how i do it at work...a lot easier then drilling and tapping the hole but thats just my .02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information