Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap On tools?

Question Snap On tools?

Well I was recentley just admitted To the Automotive Technology program At Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Im sure a lot of you guys are asking why the hell im going to a university for a Automotive school? Well the program here is one of the most competitive Automotive tech schools in the nation ranked Number 1 in the nation in 2006 and last semester i had to pull off a 3.5 gpa to even be considered. Along with that olny 35 student get in each year, i heard they turned down close to 120 guys this time.

This career is mainly just a plan B for when im done with school. When im done with school ill be building homes with my old man.

Well now that i explained my career choices heres my question. For the program you need to purchase a tool set. There is 2 choices of tool sets a Craftsman set which runs around a thousand dollars and a Snap On one which runs 2 thousand dollars. It seems when i look at the lists that you get more stuff with the snap on set but overall the same things.

My question here, Is it worth the extra money to get the snap on set over the craftsman? I would love to get the snap on set but i just dont know if its worth the extra money.

Are you getting what you pay for ?
    Or are you paying for the name?

Any input is appreaciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    Well I was recentley just admitted To the Automotive Technology program At Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Im sure a lot of you guys are asking why the hell im going to a university for a Automotive school? Well the program here is one of the most competitive Automotive tech schools in the nation ranked Number 1 in the nation in 2006 and last semester i had to pull off a 3.5 gpa to even be considered. Along with that olny 35 student get in each year, i heard they turned down close to 120 guys this time.

This career is mainly just a plan B for when im done with school. When im done with school ill be building homes with my old man.

Well now that i explained my career choices heres my question. For the program you need to purchase a tool set. There is 2 choices of tool sets a Craftsman set which runs around a thousand dollars and a Snap On one which runs 2 thousand dollars. It seems when i look at the lists that you get more stuff with the snap on set but overall the same things.

My question here, Is it worth the extra money to get the snap on set over the craftsman? I would love to get the snap on set but i just dont know if its worth the extra money.

Are you getting what you pay for ?
    Or are you paying for the name?

Any input is appreaciated.

It depends on what you purchase, I feel that the sockets and ratchets are "nuckle saving" tools, some of the torque wrenches are made by another company or a "snap-on company" like e-max.com

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    tough choice there... on some stuff there's a very distinct difference... otherstuff is same crap with a logo/label

if you buy a very extensive craftsman set, you will find down the road that some of the more everyday tools you'll wind up buying better tools so you can more efficiently and comfortably work...

a snap-on ratchet blows away a craftsman ratchet.. forgive me i dont know the exact terminology but basically it's due to clicks perrotation.. how many degrees you need to ratchet the wrench to get the next turn to engage in tight spots... th craftsman stuff sucks when ur in tight spaces... also the free-whel resistance.. you know like when ur almost at the end of taking out a bolt and your are going back and forth and it's not clicking anymore and it's just going tight and losse and back and forth... well u'll find the snap-on ratchets take much less resistance

you got a warranty either way.... replacement parts

look at it this way... if u buy a full craftsman set and u get hardcore into the wrenching, ur gonna find that certin tools u'll want better quality, those everyday ones... so u'll wind up buying better ratchets or better allen sockets or speciality tools with harder metals that dont fatigue as much.... good friend of mine steered me in this direction to save some money... buy a full craftsman set.. and then the everyday tools u buy in snap-on, and leave the rest as craftsman just so u have the complete set in the event you need them... like 10mm, 12mm, 13mm you are going to use NON STOP... get those sockets in 6 point deep and shallow in snap-on since they will get the most abuse.

get one really good 1/4 snap-on ratchet and a good 3/8" snap-on ratchet

extensions anything will do...

if money is of no object... go all the way from the start and get the better stuff... but if u want to save you money, well buy a good economical set, and then spent the money on everyday tools or specialized tools with the higher quality brands so u only pay the premium for the ones u'll use non-stop

girls have a fetish for shoes or something... tools is one of mine right now... every paycheck i buy another tool... i've got myself a pretty large rolling cab now that i had to buy a side-cab for to extend it bc i filled up every drawer to the max... great investment, u'll love it when you have a full complete quality tool set

+1
    I still own every Snap-On tool I have ever purchased. I can't say the same about my craftmen stuff.

Think about it this way.......... If you are working on cars for a living and you break something, you will have to stop what you are doing..... i.e. the craftsman stuff breaks a lot more.......... Also snap on wrencehs are way better!!!! I could not even tell you how many bolts I have rounded off using a craftsman wrench.... Maybe a hand full with snap-on. Of course if you are turning wrenches time is $$$$

+1
    Snap-on all the way! Craftsman is for carpenters!

Snap-on over craftsman any day. But also if possible matco also offers a nice apprentice set.

If you dont buy a set, and you have access to a weekly Tool truck that visits, Sunex sells awesome impact sets, with life time warrenty that dont rape your wallet.

also buy

1/2 drive buy shallow and deep in 6point impact
    3/8 drvie buy shallow in 6 point chrome, deeps in 6point impact.
    1/4 drive buy shallow and deep in chrome 6 point.

snap-on ball pene dead blow hammers
    Locking extensions s&k, snap-on, matco (all about the same)
    snap-on wrench set, remember longer wrench are better
    Gear wrench racketing wrenches
    A good set of pry bars

I personally buy alot of tools from USA tools, Snap-on, and Matco. Above is just food for thaught. I found the "kits" would not fit my needs, and putting one together my self was better and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Snap-on all the way! Craftsman is for carpenters!
    hey, I am offended. Im my carpentry and construction business, I DO NOT own many carftsman tools, and as they break they are replaced with better levels of tools. HOWEVER, I do own alot of snap-on tools since I used to work on cars in the winter while I was still a laborer. I can say that in the shop, I had broken more craftsman sockets and blown out gears on those pesky craftsman rachets that after a while it wasnt worth it. Sears warranty has changed over the years, and the snap on guy has always been helpful if something were to need fixing, plus snap on comes to you...

+1
    Since you won't be tech when you graduate go with the craftsman. I have both, but replacing caftmans tools are a little easier than snap-on. Craftmans are made for the home mechanic, and snap-on are for the professional mechanics.

Just a little tidbit about Sears/K-Mart, they are moving there headquarters to India. I wonder what this will do to there tools, might have to look into buying more Snap-on.

+1
    I've never liked the "feel" of craftsman stuff in my hands, the corners are sharp and wrenches are larger and clumsy. Yes they have gotten much better over the years but unless you purchase their "professional" set, it's a hit and miss as to whether the tool will "feel" good in your hands.

I also have to say Snap On has turned into a pile of shit when it comes to reliable unbreakable stuff. Their sockets constantly crack, their allens and ball sockets easily crack or strip. The screw driver tips twist and break under the weakest of pressure and don't even think about using one as a pry bar anymore. I can guarantee they are NOT the quality they used to be from even a few short years ago.

Matco, MAC and even S&K are fast becoming the tools of choice to the professional mechanic. The only edge Snap On has is the name they have been riding on...and yes he knows he is going to warranty something at your shop every week.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information