Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Boost leak?

  1. #1
    Big K's son KeithKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,735

    Boost leak?

    I'm pretty sure out stock RXT has a boost leak. It idles kind of rough (surges) and only spins 7850 rpm.

    Where are the obvious places to look for a boost leak?


  2. #2
    Student of Speed rxpwhistler1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oakland County Michigan
    Posts
    708

    boost leak

    Just my guesses-

    stock intercooler locking ring, manifold itself, elbow from sc to throttlebody..

  3. #3
    Big K's son KeithKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpwhistler1 View Post
    Just my guesses-

    stock intercooler locking ring, manifold itself, elbow from sc to throttlebody..
    Do you have a picture of the IC locking ring?

  4. #4
    Moderator Franko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,829
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Do you have a picture of the IC locking ring?
    It's on the front of the intake manifold. It's a round ring held together with a small screw.

    And yes, it sounds like you have a boost leak. An erratic idle is evidence of a boost leak.

  5. #5
    Big K's son KeithKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    It's on the front of the intake manifold. It's a round ring held together with a small screw.

    And yes, it sounds like you have a boost leak. An erratic idle is evidence of a boost leak.
    At idle, the skis seems to be "hunting" for the smooth stable idle. The rpms go up and down about 200 rpm. I also think it is a boost leak since the ski is only spinning 7950 RPM at WOT.

    Has anyone here had a boost leak on a stock ski with metal washers?

  6. #6
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182
    Have u changed your plugs lately?

  7. #7
    Moderator The Bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wilmette, IL
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Have u changed your plugs lately?
    Bingo! I am betting new plugs and a prop repitch.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    At idle, the skis seems to be "hunting" for the smooth stable idle. The rpms go up and down about 200 rpm. I also think it is a boost leak since the ski is only spinning 7950 RPM at WOT.

    Has anyone here had a boost leak on a stock ski with metal washers?
    Yes.

    At idle it didn't make enough pressure...idled like normal....went to open her up and....wouldn't get past 7700....then slowly lost r's...I got her back to the dock then on the trailer and home. found the sc-tb hose loose...my fault. never tightened it after re-installing the sc.

    Even with new plugs mine will fluxuate between 1700 and 1850 r's at idle...till it's warmed up well.

  9. #9
    Big K's son KeithKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Have u changed your plugs lately?
    When we bought the ski, it fouled a plug since the gas in the ski was old. That was 30 hours ago. I'll try new plugs first.

    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Yes.

    At idle it didn't make enough pressure...idled like normal....went to open her up and....wouldn't get past 7700....then slowly lost r's...I got her back to the dock then on the trailer and home. found the sc-tb hose loose...my fault. never tightened it after re-installing the sc.

    Even with new plugs mine will fluxuate between 1700 and 1850 r's at idle...till it's warmed up well.
    The ski doesn't idle as smoothly as my RXP does. The RXP idles very smooth.

  10. #10
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182
    also check the nose cone on your prop, 2 make sure it hasn't walked up the driveshaft

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Boost leak input
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
  2. VAC/BOOST leak test....propane
    By BoostedH23a1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
  3. Boost leak
    By edvazquez in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 08:27 AM
  4. Boost Leak Testing
    By RXPDAVID in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 04:58 PM
  5. Boost leak? Input?
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •