Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Importing a NEW Jetski into Canada

My first post here. I am thinkng of buying a 2008 Ultra 250 in the US and importing it into Canada since the price difference is really advantageous and Canada retailers are just not adjusting their prices.

I've read all of the post and tips I could find, but most people import used watercrafts. I am wondering if anybody has experince importing new watercrafts into Canada and what problems I might face.

(P.S I am already planning on brigning down my own trailer).

Thanks for your help.

+1
    They are going to get you one way or another. You will still have to show you paid the taxes when you register it.

JMHO

sean

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    They are going to get you one way or another. You will still have to show you paid the taxes when you register it.

JMHO

sean
    It's not about the taxes, it's about the price. There a good $3000 price difference between an Ultra 250 in the US and one in Canada.

How much are you going to pay in customs fees?

Do you have any friends in the US? Are the custom fees based on decared value or do they use thier own guide lines?

The reason I ask: would it be cheaper to have a friend in the us purchase it then sell it to you. Then you would be importing a "used" ski. Suppose you declare the value a few thousand less since it's "used".

Just a thought.

Oh yea, welcome to the Green Hulk!!

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    How much are you going to pay in customs fees?

Do you have any friends in the US? Are the custom fees based on decared value or do they use thier own guide lines?

The reason I ask: would it be cheaper to have a friend in the us purchase it then sell it to you. Then you would be importing a "used" ski. Suppose you declare the value a few thousand less since it's "used".

Just a thought.
    Thanks for the welecome. According to the delaership, they are manufactured in the US and they can provide a certificate or origin, which means they are covered under NAFTA, so 0% duty (it's 9.5% otherwise).
    Last edited by Marc_D; 02-29-2008 at 01:20 PM.

I can't imagine that a new ski would be any different than a used ski.

Have you contacted your government authority that handles boat titling and registering? I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

Be sure you let us know what you find out. I am sure it will be a help for the next person.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

My understanding is that there is no difference, as far as the customs/border import process goes, between a used and a new ski. Jet skis are considered general merchandise now, for importing purposes into Canada.

Here is another thread where general importing issues were discussed.

No duty on US made units, you just pay GST and PST of the (notarized) Bill of Sale value.

The real issue is finding a US dealer that will sell to a Canadian customer. Some brands (Sea-Doo) have restricted their border area dealers from selling to Canadians (I don't know about Kawasaki).

Driving farther south may find a dealer that doesn't feel so compelled to obey the corporate policy on this. Or buying a nominally 'used" ski from a border dealer ('demonstration' unit), or a helpful US based 'friend'.

If the dealer's proof of residency requirements are simple enough, perhaps a US mailing address will suffice.

The second issue is warranty. The US warranty may not be supported in Canada. You would need to check with your local dealer or factory representative. Or you can just haul it back to the US for servicing - no additional border charges, once you have Canadian license numbers on the bow.

I had no problems finding a dealer, he just requires that I have a US address that he can register with Kawi. I openned up a PO BOX (something I have been meaning to do anyway) and voila.

Sweet!!

Make sure to post up some pictures of your new ride when you get it!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information