Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I need to rebuild GP 1200

My wifes ski blew up at the end of last summer. I havent removed the motor yet buy it is not good. Big chunks of aluminum laying in the bottom of the hull.
    Who has parts for me. I want to rebuild it right. So any suggestions while I am starting over let me know please. I want it to run better than new when I am done.

thanks
    Joe

Banned User
    Where are you located?

good luck with that! those crank cases are getting hard to find ,That being said I had the same issue and after finding cases, cylinders, starter and a reed cage plus a full rebuild with a new crank and pistons I was out close to 1600$ you may want to reconsider ? these engines seem to like self destruction as a way to let you know they are tired

I am in Harrisonville Missouri.

I was counting on at least $1500 so I guess I was not to far off, but what would your recommend for the alternative. Just suck it up and buy a new ski I know is probably going to be the popular answer, but my wife really likes her GP. She rode my cousins new Honda four stroke and she said it felt to bulky and not as snappy as hers. So I guess I may be trying to rebuild this one and maybe just buy me a new one while I am at it. I have seen the diffrent engine numbers, but I am not sure what is what. On the botton of my motor near the starter it says 63M00 Y-1.

I guess what I want to know is which motors will work for me.
    Also any suggestions on upgrades while I am at this point. I want to put it back together right with all the power I can get and still stay on pump gas.

thanks all
    Joe

+1
    How good are you with a wrench.
    What year is it 97,98 or 99.

the common description for your motor is a 65u despite what some parts are stamped
    upgrades can be reeds Flame arrestors replacing all the oil lines or going premix to name a few

I am real good with a wrench, but most of my knowledge is with Yamaha banshees. It shouldnt be to diffrent. I just yanked the motor out today. That was not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The ski is a 98 on the cases near the starter it says 63M00 y-1. If that helps anyone out.

Looks like a lower rod bearing went and in turn broke a rod and took a decent chunk out of the bottom case probably 1 1/2in by 1/2in. Just guessing. Upper case does not look hurt. Probably need cylinders I would say.

Let me know please
    THanks Joe

here was mine

+1
    you will need a crank cylinders bored with pistons and new cases or possibly get them welded
    A new head I assume too.
    Search ebay for cases that will be the hardest to find I think.

post a pic of the case! if it repairable you will save hundreds and won't have to try and find one

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information