1997 900 zxi trim is driving me nuts!!

I posted last fall about the trim on my 900 zxi. I unbolted it and can't get the linkage disconected from the back of the trim unit so I can remove it from inside the hull. I know my switch works and I know the fuse is good other than that I don't know if it is the relay or the trim unit itself. If it is the trim unit itself what part inside the trim unit. This thing is driving me crazy. The reason why I can't unbolt the cable is b/c I can't get to it with a wrench. I have no repair places anywhere close that will work on kawasaki jet skis and I am losing my mind trying to get this thing fixed. I plan to sell them in May if I can just get the trim fixed b/c I cna't keep making the payments on them esp. if I can't ride both of them.
    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Yes there is a module inside the trim box. When I took mine out I Had to remove the air box and carbs, unbolt the trim box from the hull and lifted it up to get to the cable nuts.

It's a PITA!!

The biggest culprit for these things is water intrusion that comes through the cable housing. The water gets into the motor and corrodes every thing. Sometimes you can dissemble everything and clean it well to get it to work again.

Let us know how it goes.

I saw where a guy took a 12 volt battery and hooked a wire from + side to one of the leads on the trim and from - side to other lead and actuator worked. Wondering if anyone has any imput on this? Sounds like this may help me narrow down the problem. What all could be the problem inside? Is is just the actuator and a couple of wires inside that housing?? Thanks for the help again. I am somewhat feeling hopeful about this project again.

There is the actuator (control module), motor, gear box, and sending unit for the trim gauge inside the box. I believe the motor is around $350 and the actuator is $150 from Kawasaki.

Open it up and check for corrosion.

You can rewire everything. That's how I fixed mine. I used a motor from a ultra 150 and wired it direct. However, there are down sides to doing this. First, there is no "stop" to shut the motor off when it gets all the way up or down. I have to be careful not to run it too far and strip the gear box. Also, the adjustment isn't real precise. It seems to run for a split second after I let go of the switch.

Now that's definitely not the best way to fix one of these but I couldn't justify putting $300 + in a $1500 ski.

Let us know how it goes.

I have just about decided to put everything back together if it isn't the relay put the trim in a happy medium and say f*** it! I called and finally found someone that would work on it today and they said it would be about 150 - 200 to work on it and about 300-450 in parts. I think I will just get out while I can.

I modded my original trim box (with some good ol' hillbilly ingenuity) to allow me to reach down into the hull and turn the gear box by hand to adjust the trim.

If you are interested, you can have it, if I can find it in my building. Let me know.

Thread Information