Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1
    Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed real bad here but I have a # of Questions ;

Part A; Would a 4tec fit into a SLTX?
    Part B; Has anyone done it?
    Part c; How would the SLTX handle at speed?
    Part d; How would it go with that power if it was possible?

Background.
    Since putting the Wake into the Shuttlecraft it goes well but the Wake's hull sits too low into the water WithRespectTo the Shuttle. This gives porposing at +35mph. Put the SLTX back in and that problem goes away.
    But SLTX needs a decent motor. AKA a "4tec".

Also I've heard comments around the net over the years that the SLTX's hull would be good at CC racing and at speed. But no-one every stated why. I know that when we as a group take out the two ski's into the surf it's a fight to who gets to go on the SLTX. We adore our Wake but it's just a big loveable 3 seater couch. And the Australian Mudbug (I call it the BushPig) is getting organised and that would be a bit of fun as well.

So if anyone thinks it's a too big of an ask I'd listen and not waste the time. But if it's possible, then I'm all ears and look forward to any comments.

PS. I'm a cheap mongrel and if I'm going to spend money and time on something , do it for many reasons, not one.

+1
    Anything is possible.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this mostly focussed around continuing to use the Shuttlecraft, just wanting to move it faster than the SLTX can push it right now?

Have you tweaked the SLTX for Shuttlecraft duties (impeller change, nozzle diameter change).

How much faster do you want to push the Shuttlecraft?

The conversion forum on GreenHulk has many threads regarding Sea-Doo motors in other hulls, but most seem to be into Yamaha hulls, rarely Polaris hulls.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked into building the SLTX up first? Ph20craft has a SLTX doing around 68 MPH or better? Or maybe look into a 1200 engine.

The obvious issues I'd see are the engine mounts will need adapted, engine to jet pump alignment, driveshaft conversion, and elec. system modifications.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I can get you some basic dimentions on the 4 tec later on, but it is tall and WIDE. I'm not familiar with the sltx hull, but I assume it's more or less the size of beerdarts. If so, I think it would be borderline. Remember that the 4 tec barely fits inside the seadoo, and that is a BIG ski.

This is the last place you would get flamed. We are the project junkie capital of the net!!

So, what are you trying to achieve? More power from the SLTX to push the shuttlecraft? Maybe replace the 1050 with a 1200. that would be a 15 hp gain and a lot easier.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this mostly focussed around continuing to use the Shuttlecraft, just wanting to move it faster than the SLTX can push it right now? Two things of focus, more reliable less maintenance motor and electrics for the polaris (have had 2 motors blow and now the electrics are causing spark issues i think). Secondly, the chance to use the SLTX hull design for a top end speed run at Australia's Mudbug(that's been organised).

Have you tweaked the SLTX for Shuttlecraft duties (impeller change, nozzle diameter change). Yes, the previous owner was running Hi compression cylinder heads and the prop was a 14 ???? something, until a big fat rock lodged in there when the grate fell out.

How much faster do you want to push the Shuttlecraft? Pushing the Shuttlecraft faster is not the # 1 desire for it but just a good reliable ski I can take out and trust with the family. The speed side of things for the polaris is for the AUMB (Aussie Mudbug).

The conversion forum on GreenHulk has many threads regarding Sea-Doo motors in other hulls, but most seem to be into Yamaha hulls, rarely Polaris hulls.
    This I have researched and found the same.

Thanks 477 for your questions and answers
    Last edited by Gunna; 03-02-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: edit

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Have you looked into building the SLTX up first? Ph20craft has a SLTX doing around 68 MPH or better? Or maybe look into a 1200 engine. I'll have the same sort of issues I have now with the 2 stroke techonlogy. With 4TEC it's plug and play. No oil mixes or carby settings to get wrong and burn out a piston or two. Sorry but I'm not that versed with 2 strokes and would rather live and learn on 4 stroke technolgies.

The obvious issues I'd see are the engine mounts will need adapted, engine to jet pump alignment, driveshaft conversion, and elec. system modifications.
    Engine mount design should be OK along with the alignments. Driveshaft can be outsourced to Driveline people. Elec's will be OK as I'll just pinch everything from and RXT/P. Also I'm electronic by trade.

Your help and questions are certainly making me think and are most welcomed, thanks xlint89.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Anything is possible.
    He He I know!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    I can get you some basic dimentions on the 4 tec later on, but it is tall and WIDE. I'm not familiar with the sltx hull, but I assume it's more or less the size of beerdarts. If so, I think it would be borderline. Remember that the 4 tec barely fits inside the seadoo, and that is a BIG ski.
    Thanks Addicted.
    This is # 1 Question; Is it "unresonably" big to fit into the SLTX hull???

That's the 64000$ question for me. The SLTX is the same width but MUCH lower in profile then my RXT wake. Therefore you would have to make ALLOWANCES in the top half of the SLTX to make it fit. Which I am willing to do.
    But would the polaris be quicker at the top end speed and be able to "handle" OK at these speeds? The power to weight ratio would be better but no use if it's going to flip or go off track at speed, or anything stupid like that. It's the hull design in the water that made me first ask this project question. As I said before, I've heard comments from the internet over the years that the SLTX's hull design was the best ever and that still sticks in my head. Is this a true statement?? (answers will be totally unbiased of course)

Scarey question but even scarier for the poor bugger who has to drive it (a 23yrold member of our team)(look at what happened to the racer Josh a few weeks ago, ouch!)

So that's the thought process at the moment. Would it all work at the top end speeds or is it too much to ask for a little old 1997 Polaris design?

Thanks very much for your input guys.

Dean
    Last edited by Gunna; 03-03-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: edit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information