Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'02 Virage i Value (Like New)

Hi all.

I have a 2002 Virage I in pristine condition. Has only 45 hours on it - about 1/2 & 1/2 fresh and salt. I bought it new and it mostly sat covered up on our dock in Florida for about 4 years - then I brought it here to Ohio and used it lightly for a summer. It is absolutely scratch free, has a new throttle position sensor, the upgraded/overhauled EMM from DRI technologies, and a new water injection solenoid (all of which were junk items on the original unit). It starts and runs like new, the impeller is like new. The cylinders were always fogged if we were away for long periods. Like I said pristine.

I'd like to sell it now to buy a dinghy/tender for my boat. Does anyone have an opinion as to how much I should list this for? Is eBay the best route to sell this or is there another better option?

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn Chaney
    Clyde, Ohio
    Last edited by sprint27c; 03-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How quickly do you want to sell it?

Can you provide a complete history and current condition?

Compression?
    Corrosion status?
    Any known or suspected issues?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Selling it now will not yield as much as a summer time sale. Do you have any pics of the ski?

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    I think its always summer in Fl LOL

If you can hold onto to until about April you will get the most for it. Craigs list is a good outlet and free. Just be sure to include pictures.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the NADA link ... $2500 is a crusher though to see considering I paid over $8,000 new. Though I am certainly aware of the issues with Polaris out of the biz (damn them - I've had such great luck with their ATV's & Rangers) and the reputation that the electronic models carry. I do agree that April thru June is a better selling season - and I would hope that this thing in its condition would be on the higher side of the NADA estimates.

As far as history...its like most other PWC's with a brain -- it's either running perfect or not at all. Honestly this thing has been used so little that there hasn't been time to wear anything out mechanically. As I mentioned I bought it for my families' winter home in Florida & we never were down there enough to put it to good use.

The link to my previous posts (K447) describes the problem I had when I brought it back to Ohio. The boat would run like new when it warmed up but hardly at all when it was cold. I suspected the EMM after replacing the TPS but really resisted paying $1300 for a new one. Then I ran across the place that fixes them and sure enough...rock solid with the overhauled unit. I don't have any compression numbers...and I can't imagine what would be corroded as we flushed it every time out in Florida and now its a fresh water resident.

Performance-wise all I can say is that when it was new it would do 57 mph (according to the speedometer). Last summer it did 55 in Lake Erie...so it sure hasn't lost much. Out of the hole there is no hesitation or stumble - it just goes. As much as the electronics/injection have been maligned - it is incredible how smooth and smoke free this thing is at idle - and from what I've read this is one of the most efficient (MPG) PWC's ever built.

Anyway - enough rambling. I'll take some pictures tomorrow for everybody to see...but for now just imagine a brand new maroon Virage I.

Here are some pictures.

I realize the paint on the pipe looks awful but that is the unavoidable Florida effect. Despite a washdown and thorough flush after every use the salt air still is hard on painted finishes and interior of the hull...especially that pipe with all the hot/cold cycles.

Last edited by sprint27c; 03-03-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Pictures didn't post...

Scroll down (while replying using Advanced Mode), click Manage Attachments...

How badly did the hull get flooded when the drain plug was left out. Did the engine ingest water?
    Was it salt water flooding?
    How many times did that happen?

Wow - not doing very well with the attachments. Click on the links to see what I got.

It's actually an unbelievable story on the flood. When I bought the thing new I did so without a trailer. I just had the dealer in Venice Florida deliver it to a ramp and drop it in the water so that I could motor it to our dock on Phillipi Creek (fresh water/brackish).

So I show up at the meeting place and the dealer guy already has it in the water and we shake hands, I jump on it, and away we go. I ride it for about an hour...park it at the house and go have a beer.

I come back about 45 minutes later and it has 6" water in the bottom! Turns out my friendly dealer splashed it without putting the drain plugs in. So, I hoisted it with our davit, drained it all out, and flushed everything. She fired right back up and I ran it for the next few years with no problems at all.

The second time was about 2 years ago when a friend of mine took it out one afternoon while I was not around. He splashed it without replacing the flush-out plug. Needless to say he made it about 1/2 mile down the creek before he realized he was sinking. He tried to turn around but she died before making it back. He pushed it the rest of the way and we did the same all over again. Drained it...fired it back up and ran it to dry everything back out.

When the electrical problem begain I surmised that it might be related to one of those incidents. Turns out it wasn't and the only electrical problems I've had are the ones very common with this model...the EMM and the TPS. Both have been replaced/upgraded.

So anyway - back to my original question -- what is this thing worth?
    Last edited by sprint27c; 03-03-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information