Newbie...VX110 RPM and Speed question

Hi all...great forum. Have a quick question regarding speed and RPM of my 2006 VX110. My qustion is that the VX seems to run very high
    RPM at low speed. at 5 mph i think it is running at about 5k rpm. Top speed is 49 MPH. So..the VX goes from 5MPH to almost 50MPH in the 3K RPM between 5K and 8K. Is that normal for this craft? Mine was purchased used at 400 hours. It was a freshwater rental and overall is in great shape. I only paid $2K so not too concerned if i have to spend a few bucks for a new impeller if required. From what i have read i think the top speed is a little low so i am thinkking the wear ring/impeller is worn. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by beckel; 03-02-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Yes it's time for a new impeller and possibly a new housing. The dreamo should be reading 57-60 mph.

If you take a bright lamp put it under your intake grate and look through your jet nozzzle, you will be able to see how much of a gap you have between your impeller and housing.

When new, you can barely see any light.....just a hair. If it looks passable, get a gps reading, speedo pick-up could be not reading right.

Oh by the way...Welcome.

Brewster...thanks a ton for the reply. How can i tell if the housing needs to be replaced and not just the impeller. There is definitely too much of a gap between the impeller and housing but i cant tell if it is the impeller or the housing that is worn. Where do you recommend i purchase both of these items? Thanks again!!

DEFINITE impeller replacement (may i recommend a solas 18/24) and a new housing wouldn't be such a bad idea. Take a look at it and make a judgement

I would do both. You have 400 hours on it...if it's the original housing, it could be worn. If you do the work yourself, you can fit the new impeller in and measure the clearance between the housing and the impeller. Just get a shop manual to do this measurement correctly.

Otherwise you could send your pump to Impros and have them go through your pump(bearings,stator vein, housing).

Having the thing done professionally, will give you good performance and reliabilty. Just find a reputable shop or do it yourself.

Just noticed you asked where to buy the parts. You can try Jerry's store first or check out Parkers performance, alot of Yamaha stuff pretty cheap and good service.
    Last edited by Brewster; 03-02-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks again...I called Impros this AM and will be sending them the entire unit to rebuild. For $300 it is not worth chancing it. Now...just have to figure out how to get the pump off without pulling the ride plate...

You can remove the pump with the plate still on, but it's real tight. You might end up taking the plate off. The only problem is the speedo pick up, it's mounted to the plate with stainless phillips screws. There tough to get out and strip easily. You can heat them up but don't use a torch(damage to sensor), try a decent soldering gun and heat up the screw heads. They will start to deform on you, but eventually come free.

You know, if your pulling the whole pump you might be alright. You have enough to grab onto and maybe break it free. Try it first before you resort to removing the ride plate.
    Last edited by Brewster; 03-03-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Thread Information