Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

RXP-X Hose Issue

I encountered the exhaust hose popping off issue after 4 hours of run time yesterday. Today I tackled fixing it. The prevailing theory was that the hose from the exhaust manifold to the waterbox pipe is too rigid such that it doesn't adhere properly on the waterbox pipe. From my review, this is not correct.

After I removed the hose from the exhaust manifold to the waterbox, I noticed a few things. 1) the waterbox pipe is flared to keep the hose on. 2) the hose fits properly over the flare (meaning rigidity is NOT the problem) and 3) the waterbox moves backwards and forwards when the hose is unattached. I believe that the hose issue is caused by the waterbox moving backwards and forwards with only a hose holding it in place. Instead of being attached to the exhaust manifold with a J-pipe and T-clap (like the 215), it is attached with a rubber hose and two clamps. I don't think that is a sufficient connection between the two.

I clamped the ever-loving-shit out of both clamps. If this doesn't hold, at a minimum new clamps will be in order. It may well be that the waterbox needs to be held in place better.
    Last edited by Franko; 03-02-2008 at 05:31 PM.

+1
    interesting that the older seadoo models have those rubber straps/tiedowns that fit around the waterboxes, wonder why this model doesn't. might be able to retrofit the straps and glue down the tiedown clamp?

TLR

Before I took mine out, I took the hoses off and tightened the hell out of them. I did not have any trouble this afternoon. I did find that there were a lot of not so tight hoses. It seemed that they were only tightened with a screw driver. I put a socket on them and tightened down.

How did you find out the hose popped off? I want to know what to hear for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slambmx View Post
    How did you find out the hose popped off? I want to know what to hear for.
    The ski makes a loud sound and stalls out. You can't miss it.

I too checked the clamps before I took it out. In fact, the clamp on the hose that popped off was still tight on the hose even though the hose was off the waterbox pipe. It's not the tightness of the clamp that is the issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    interesting that the older seadoo models have those rubber straps/tiedowns that fit around the waterboxes, wonder why this model doesn't. might be able to retrofit the straps and glue down the tiedown clamp?

TLR
    It has the rubber tie-down, but it is much longer and bulkier than previous versions. So I think it needs more to keep it in place. In fact, with the old J-pipe with T-clamp, you don't even need that rubber strap.

+1
    Frank, what size are these clamps? I am going to order some T-bolt clamps.

Hi all.
    firstly, this is not an attack , please just take the helpful advice from it.
    I got a little memory buzz when I saw this thread. there are notes in various magazine atricles and technical websites about clamping couplers. I cannot find my favourite that refers to people as 'gorilla clampers' who feel the solution to hoses anc couplers slipping off is to "tighten the crap" out of the clamp. [no offence, no offence!
    fact is, if you have to tighten that much THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE WRONG!!
    It sure reads like the RXPX has an issue with a loose waterbox. I believe that retrofit clamp setups will be the way to go until Seadoo comes clean and fixes it themselves.
    here is a snippet from Factory pipe;

Many high performance exhaust pipes use high temperature, silicone couplers to connect the pieces of the system together. These couplers not only provide a way to join the pipe but also act as shock absorbers to dampen the high vibrations of a two stroke engine. The key to keeping these couplers in good working order is following a few simple steps:

1. Thoroughly clean all the areas of the pipe that the coupler will come in contact with as well as the inside of the coupler itself.

2. Use only water or a Windex type spray to aid in the installation of the coupler. Never use WD40 or any oil based lubricant as these will cause the coupler to come apart during use.

3. Make sure that the connecting pieces inside the coupler are touching completely around with no gaps. Otherwise, very hot exhaust gas will be forced directly against the coupler and cause it to melt.

4. Do not over tighten the coupler clamps. This will cause the clamp to dig into the coupler material and split. A properly installed coupler will only require the clamps to be hand tight with a nut driver.

+1
    Franks probably on to something. We saw the same thing back in the day with the same style waterbox's on the Polaris.

Frank. What about stuffing something behind the boxes to the back of the hull area?

+1
    good info franko

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information