Thread: Breaking In

Breaking In

im getting a n 08 ultra and i want to kno the best way to break it in..i heard runing it had it the best way and taking it eay is also good? what is the best thign to do

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I am a believer in a semi hard break in,Im am not saying this is the best way, but this is how I break mine in........
    I run mine on the hose through a couple of heat cycles,run it till it gets warm, let it cool off a couple of times, then take it to the water let it get up to operating temps idling around, then get it up on [email protected] 30-35 mph and do about 20 minutes of hard pulls almost to WOT and slow back down quickly to @ 30 mph and keep doing that, after the 20 mins I just vary the RPMs (no sustained WOT) for the next 5 hours, then ride the hell out of it.

Surprise dude;

I would go with TN's recommendation; I babied mine like a bitch and I got the famous GIO* (Gas in Oil) problem; he has none, although I'm at 50 hours and have zero issues other than that.

* Term Coined by LordBlack; not proud of it - 'CAUSE IT SUCKS!!!

LB

+1
    The first part of the breakin sounds good.... After 2 tanks of gas.... Run it.

+1
    I broke mine in similar to how Harry did his other than the heat cycles on the hose. I didn't baby it at all although I didn't run the hell out of it untill
    I had a few hours on the clock. Mostly a lot of short full throttle pulls and a lot of varied rpm's. I don't know if break in has anything to do with the GIO problem but I didn't have it nearly as bad as some did who took it easy during break in. Mine was also faster than most when it was stock (67.5) so maybe a hard break in isn't such a bad thing.

There was an article posted on PWC Offshore that explains why going too easy during break in can impair good ring seal. I cant find it now but I know its been linked and discussed before. That article helped me understand the possible connection between soft break in and GIO. One point of clarification though TN250. After a few cycles on hose in driveway, during the first 5 hours on water, is it important to shut ski off and let it cool down repeatedly? I want to break in new engine during one long day of riding in next few weekends. Air temps will probably be 45 or 50 at most. Should I stop a few times every hour and let it cool down or is that unnecessary given cool air temps? Thanks.

+1
    94 hours so far, and started off stock speed of 68.1 mph (gps)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    There was an article posted on PWC Offshore that explains why going too easy during break in can impair good ring seal. I cant find it now but I know its been linked and discussed before. That article helped me understand the possible connection between soft break in and GIO. One point of clarification though TN250. After a few cycles on hose in driveway, during the first 5 hours on water, is it important to shut ski off and let it cool down repeatedly? I want to break in new engine during one long day of riding in next few weekends. Air temps will probably be 45 or 50 at most. Should I stop a few times every hour and let it cool down or is that unnecessary given cool air temps? Thanks.
    I dont think so, I just did the heat cycle thing on the hose, no stopping and cooling off anytime after that.Just remeber this isnt the gospel, this is just the way I break my skis in.

+1
    Blue,

Heres that article...............

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Thread Information