S/C Metal washer inspection after ~100hrs of use

Our 2007 Wake Editions seemed to be down on power a little, not quite pulling to the 8000rpm redline, only to about 7400-7600rpm.

So if figured we must need to replace and service the metal supercharger washers we installed when the ski had 16 hours on it. The ski now had 105 hours. So we had put 90hours on the washers. I pulled the supercharger and disassembled the S/C clutch.

Before reinstalling new waskers, spring washes, needle bearing and shims that I ordered from Jerry earlier this week I measured the thickness of the used metal washers and compared it to the replacements using a digital micometer.

• The used ones measure 2.41 millimeters in thickness. They showed a little "gauling" (sp?) on one side of each washers.
    • The new ones measure 2.35 millimeters in thickness.
    So after 90hours there was little or no material removed from the washers, I imagine the increased thickness of the used washers was due to rough or "gauling" of the one side. Eitherway, I figured .06 millimeters was within spec.

• I also measured the thickness of the actual supercharger drive gear, it was 11.05 millimeters thick after 105hrs, I don't have new one to compare it to? Anyone have one laying around?
    I went ahead and reassembled everything with new parts I had ordered, installed the extra shims and torqued everything to spec.

I rode the skis for about 3 hours today off the coast of Santa Barbara, and I recovered most of the lost RPM, given the 2-4ft chop, I'd see 7900-8000 rpm on the tach and about 60mph on occasional smooth sections. Granted it still wasn't ideal water conditions.

Nonetheless, since the washers showed so little wear, I'm thinking the replacemnt of the spring washers and shims is the source of extra clamping pressure to get the lost boost/rpm back. Washer wear doesn't seem to be an issue.

Hopefully this data is of some use for you guys to compare...any one with a similar experience on metal washer S/C rebuild?
    Last edited by Fly'n Dutchman; 03-02-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Dutchman View Post
    • I also measured the thickness of the actual supercharger drive gear, it was 11.05 millimeters thick after 105hrs, I don't have new one to compare it to? Anyone have one laying around.
    The 2007 Shop Manual lists the new gear to be 11.00 - 11.05 mm, and the wear limit is 10.50 mm for a used one... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    The 2007 Shop Manual lists the new gear to be 11.00 - 11.05 mm, and the wear limit is 10.50 mm for a used one... Ron
    Okay...that's good to know...sounds like I"m still okay.

This thread will answer a lot of your questions.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15971

Thread Information