Clearing Kelp/Pump blockage without getting wet? Here's how I do it...

While riding of the coast of Santa Barbara today I sucked a clump of kelp into the pump inlet and the jet just caviated in the water.

Reluctantly, I got out the scuba mask and snorkel and my diving knive and jumped into the water. The kelp was so far up into the pump inlet I couldn't get it out after several tries and grew frustated. The fact that the visibility sucked and swells kept pushing me around making things any better.

So after thinking for a moment, I waved my friend over on our other ski, and figured what the hell, why not try and use the other ski to shoot a stream of water up the outlet nozzle of my ski and blow all the kelp back forwards out of the inlet.

So I backed the other ski up to my stranded ski and with some dock line, tied the skis ass-end to ass-end. With a little gap in 12inch gap in between. Then we fired up the other working ski briefly- just at idle, with both pump nozzle facing each other. Sure enough a bunch of shredded kelp calm blowing out the inlet of the stranded ski.

I untied the two skis and fired up the stranded ski... success... pump cleared and back on course. I don't know if this will work every time, but hopefully this will save some of you some headache, of course this options is only availalbe if there is another ski in the area, another reason to ride in pairs.

Next time I won't even bother getting in the water until I try this first.
    Last edited by Fly'n Dutchman; 03-05-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Dutchman View Post
    While riding of the coast of Santa Barbara today I sucked a clump of kelp into the pump inlet and the jet just caviated in the water.

Reluctantly, I got out the scuba mask and snorkel and my diving knive and jumped into the water. The kelp was so far up into the pump inlet I couldn't get it out after several tries and grew frustated. The fact that the visibility sucked and swells kept pushing me around were not helping.

So after thinking for a moment, I waved my friend over on our other ski, and figured what the hell, why not try and use the other ski to shot a stream of water up the outlet nozzle of my ski and blow all the kelp back forwards out of the inlet.

So I pack the other ski up to my stranded ski and with some dock line, tied the skis ass-end to ass-end. With a little gap in 12inch gap in between. Then we fired up the other working ski briefly- just at idle, with both pump nozzle facing each other. Sure enough a bunch of shredded kelp calm blowing out the inlet of the stranded ski.

I untied the two skis and fired up the stranded ski... success... pump cleared and back on course. I don't know if this will work every time, but hopefully this will save some of you some headache, of course this options is only availalbe if there is another ski in the area, another reason to ride in pairs.

Next time I won't even bother getting in the water until I try this first.
    Classic! let me guess where you were when you found all that kelp....................

question ?

did you happen to see a fish with a visor and a dive knife in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
    did you happen to see a fish with a visor and a dive knife in that area?
    Smart A$$, You missed all the fun at PWCToday, I got them running, they pulled the thread out

Thread Information