Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Carbon seal Help

Saturday I put my RXP in the water for the first time since I upgraded from stage one over the winter. My current mods are in my sig.

Right off the Rpm's were spot on at 8100, No GPS yet but the speedo pegged at 70 at 7000 RPM's, ski felt much faster.

20 minutes of riding and I stopped to look at something and there was so much cavitation that the ski would not plane. I first thought I had sucked something in the pump so I went over to shore and when I cut it off I could hear water and when I pulled the seat water was up to the bottom of the SC intake. I pulled the back up on the beach and pumped the water out.

When I got back on the trailer I pulled the intake and there was no water in the SC or intake (good) but there was a gap between the ring and carbon seal. The water was pouring in with the motor off.

What gives and what do I look at first, did the impeller back off or does the carbon seal need adjusting. I need advice on what to do, Help

Banned User
    check your mounts , check to see if c clip is attached to shaft and also engine alignment this happened to me also i had a bad rear mount that threw engine off and popped the c clip out letting water through the carbon ring

+1
    Where is the clip, where the shaft couples to the fly wheel? I tried to move the shaft foward or backward and there is no end play.

+1
    Can you move the rubber boot forward or backward on the driveshaft?

+1
    The rubber boot that holds the carbon seal? Yes. I pulled the boot back and the seal looks good but there is a slight space between the seal and ring about 1/16". The ski has about 50 hours on it but about 20 minutes in the current setup.

+1
    I checked the motor mounts by trying to move the engine and it seems solid and the mounts dont look broken. The clip is in place. I guess it's time to pull the pump.

Can you take some pictures? I would just replace the boot, carbon seal, and the c-clip if it is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    I checked the motor mounts by trying to move the engine and it seems solid and the mounts dont look broken. The clip is in place. I guess it's time to pull the pump.
    The boot with the ring must press against the floating ring for a seal. You can get more pressure on the floating ring by installing a 1/4 or 3/8" tie wrap behind the bellows against the hull tunnel to move the boot and carbon ring more forward. If the c-clip is installed under the floating ring then it all should be in the correct place. ???
    Don't ride until you fix this, it will sink your ski. You can put water in the hull and check if it is leaking out where the carbon ring is.

+1
    I have never replaced or worked on a carbon seal before so I am kind of in the dark. Is there a clip that is supposed to be in front of the floating ring? if there is its gone. I read a few threads about the solas nose cone causing problems. Last summer I installed Rivas stage one and noticed I was getting some water in the hull and before when it was stock it was bone dry. Since the mods over the winter it is pouring in. There is a gap between the ring and carbon seal. Could the solas nose cone be pushing the shaft foward?
    I just checked the parts diagram and I think that the clip is missing.
    Last edited by Bama; 03-03-2008 at 12:32 PM.

+1
    I found my problem, pulled the pump on lunch break and water poured out of the nose cone. the carbon seal is now seated back on the ring.

The nose cone seal let water in and pushed the driveshaft foward and lifted the ring off the carbon seal.

Now what to do drill holes in the cone or take it off

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information