Low tide high tide ?

What conditions remotely effect rough water.(low tide, high tide, wind, etc) also what should i look or when looking to ride on a really calm day.

+1
    Look for wind,,,then you`ll have fun.

Since you are concerned about tides, where do you ride?

I have something to watchout for that I know about from experiance. I hit a sandbar at low tide. I totally did not see it. I haven't noticed the tides affecting how rough it is. However it does affect currents and can change conditions making it through an inlet.

I ride near Coney Island..in brooklyn and all the way to the statue of liberty into manhattan..just some days its terribly rough and some days its almost like glass...what afects how rough the water is ?

The wind mostly.

Also the volume of other boat traffic

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS
    Look for wind,,,then you`ll have fun.
    I agree wind and waves…tons of fun

This may sound stupid but when there are average to decent size waves/chop do you guys still open it up or do you keep it tamed

If it is too rough I dont go WOT. I just go as fast as I can and remain comfortable. I like having fun, not getting beat up.

The water conditions is mostly the wind. It is important to check the weather conditions not only for when you leave but the whole time you plan to be out. You may need extra time to get back. The wind can easily pick up during the day or change directions.

I belong to sea tow, and I call them before I go out on the ocean to see what the REAL conditions are, not what NOAA says.

When I go diving the slogan is "if you listen to NOAA you are never going to goa."

Quite often the boaters report is not exactly accurate. So getting the info from someone who has actually been out there that day is the best resourse.

If you are riding in that area, I would assume you have sea tow (or something like that) or at least carry a radio. You can use the radio to ask current conditions too.

If it is rough out, I may just go out the inlet and stay in the immediate area and jump waves and get wet and have fun, then I go back through the inlet to catch a break for a while.

Thanks a lot for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by cr1421
    I ride near Coney Island..in brooklyn and all the way to the statue of liberty into manhattan..just some days its terribly rough and some days its almost like glass...what afects how rough the water is ?
    The Moon, time of day, wind, barometric pressure etc...
    there are alot of variables, why do you think the weatherman are always right ...PR...

Thread Information