Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Needed After Capsize

My biggest nightmare happened yesterday.I got thrown off the XL1200Ltd by the biggest wave I've ever seen and the ski spent 10 minutes upside down before I could battle my way back to it!I managed to get back on after being rescued by my buddy,but the ski was obviously flooded by the way it was sat low in the water.We towed it back in and drained the hull,then I took out the plugs and watched in horror as the starter blew pints of saltwater out the plugholes.I washed the hull out by refilling up to the bottom of the battery carrier with fresh water (to wash saltwater off the starter etc) then finally managed to get the motor started.I re-launched and spent 10 minutes doing 5000rpm runs along the sea edge (where it was a bit calmer) but the power valves didn't seem to be opening,and a constant alarm was sounding (I assume it may have been battery voltage,as it was a constant alarm, not intermittant,and I did nearly kill the battery trying to get it started on the slip).When I got home, I flooded the cylinders with 2 stroke oil and WD40,left it for 15 minutes then ran it up for 15 minutes on the hose.The powervalves were now working,and no alarm sounded.This morning it started fine and ran 10 minutes,and I've just started it again and run it for 5 minutes.Obviously I've fogged the entire motor and electrical connectors with a large can of WD40.Anybody think I should do anything else,apart from run the motor everyday for the next week? It revs well on the hose,and seems none the worse for its' ordeal. Anyone any thoughts on how the motor ingested all that water in the first place? It's fine getting it righted and climbing on, but it's no use if the thing swallows water like a fish! As far as I know it wasn't running as it capsized,as I had the lanyard still around my wrist.Any thoughts gratefully received!

+1
    Which way did you flip it back over ? I agree with running it to get the condensation out.

I followed the instructions on the hull! I stood on the port edge,and pulled on the starboard side and righted it clockwise if viewed from the back.(The way it shows on the decal on the rear of the hull).

I would keep running it! oh in freshwater. you have a lake near you! If it was my ski depending on the hours......if you are close to 100-150 hrs i would just rip it apart and clean as much as you can. A lot of work but youll know that you wont have anymore damage after. Just my 2 cents.

sounds like you did a lot of right things!

fillin ski with fresh water for starter was great idea how about disconnting pull apart wireing connectors and coat them with something

A big THANK'S to all for advice! Yeah,that's a good idea about the connectors.The only problem I'm still having is the display on the speedo etc. and that is probably due to water in the connectors,and the fact that it's literally freezing here at the moment! The readout is faint,a warning buzzer sounds sometime when I'm running the motor,but not always,and the message looks like a overheat message,but the wording is broken-up,so cleaning the connectors and putting Vaseline in them will hopefully cure that.I can get to a freshwater river on Sunday,and I intend to run a tank of pre-mix,as well as the injected oil (so like a running-in mix) through the motor at high speeds.I've done a compression check and its giving 120psi on all 3 cyls,so no problems there,and I've poured more oil into the plugholes,and then run it up to get the whole motor drenched in oil (I dissapeared in a cloud of white smoke,and wondered if the neighbours would call out the fire dept!).All looks good so far,so fingers crossed for Sunday. Thank's again, it's great to get this sort of help to make sure I haven't missed something obvious! Cheers DaveW.

I am just affraid of all that salt the go into the engine. Yes water evaporates in heat but salt doesnt. Salt also doesnt burn up. I think over time it will reek havoc on the inside of that engine. If your close to the tear down for new rings or soomething i would tear it apart. Just imo.

African-American
    +1
    This is my biggest fear..

best of luck and keep us posted. Maybe remove the head and check ?

i bet the crank is gonna rust and the needle bearings arent far behind!

take that thing apart.....you said its freezing there anyway, perfect rebuild time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information