2006 STX900 - motor rebuild

I recently bought my first skis, a pair of 2006 STX 900's with a ton hours - 600+. They were rental units, I got them relatively cheap and want to get the motors rebuilt. I intend to pull the motors and have someone else rebuild. I've been scared away from STB, and I'm now talking to a local Kaw. dealership who does alot of Kaw engine work. They'll rebuild with new pistons, rebuilt crank, machine work and seals for $1,400.00. No warranty if I do the "grunt" work and pull and install myself.

Does this sound fair? and/or, how do I find someone to trust, that they are using doing good machine shop work and using quality parts? These guys are local and accessible to me and they'll show it to me as they take it apart.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Southeast Ohio

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!! Congratulations on the new skis.

I would think that $1400 would be a fair price. the only thing that bothers me is that there will be no warranty. I understand that it is hard to warranty ski engines, but I would at least expect a workmanship warranty, where they would fix anything that they screwed up. But that's just me.

Of course, I have seen places that say no warranty, but will try to help someone out if possible when there is a problem. It all depends on the dealer.

Is there any way to research their work record? If they have a good history locally then that would go a long way for me.

If you run across any problems or have any questions let us know, and remember, we love pictures.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for input.

The shop has been straight we with me, helpful and not pushy. I suspect they will stand behind their work, but not as comforting as "warranty".
    They have me convinced that quality work is better than a paper warranty and unknown quality of parts and work.

Can anyone suggest a shop were I can get high quality work, parts , low cost and written warranty?

Thread Information