Modified intake grate mount....

This has been a topic of discussion over the last couple of months. I have mine apart and ready to do the mod.

I understand that certain FX models have an aluminum mounting bracket similer to the rideplate/pump shoe bracket on later model GPR's. It will fit in the same area as the GPR intake mounting holes, but this new bracket uses the same 6mm bolts. I was thinking the 8mm bolt was the way to go. I planned on making my own bracket out of 1/4 inch plate and welding nuts on the plate for the grate to fasten to and using 5200 to keep everthing sealed. But do you suggest removing the hex shaped raised places, making a flat surface or will this weaken the area more???

The FX bracket retains the hex shaped indentions. Which way should I go?
    I think the bracket can be tapped to 8mm but does the boss have enough material to make the bigger hole and still be strong enough to hold???

I dont want this thing pulling out on me at speed.

I suppose everyone is still running the stock intake grate mounts then. And after all that work to get the glue off....I guess I will put it back stock then.

Thanks....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    I suppose everyone is still running the stock intake grate mounts then. And after all that work to get the glue off....I guess I will put it back stock then.

Thanks....

IMO the stock brackets are fine for the 2 strokes. Doesnt hurt to beef it up tho... a lot of guys install an aftermarket plate and use larger bolts to secure the grate.

+1
    Try these from Yamaha F1K-U18577-00-00 They are for the 07 FX and are similar to the upgraded Ride plate and Pump shoe brackets. Oldman (Bob) turned me on to these. the only parts finder I could find them on was at Yamaha's site. Part #63 on the drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partimage.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	60771  

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Try these from Yamaha F1K-U18577-00-00 They are for the 07 FX and are similar to the upgraded Ride plate and Pump shoe brackets. Oldman (Bob) turned me on to these. the only parts finder I could find them on was at Yamaha's site. Part #63 on the drawing
    Thanks for the input guys. That part number was the one I was thinking of using but I was curious about it still using the smaller bolt. I had intentions of making my own plate and welding 8mm nuts to the plate but I would have to grind the hex material away to make a smooth surface. I was told that the FX style strap mantains the hex shaped material....

Thanks again.

Chine Walker
    Is the concern with these mounts that they may pull through the hull, or about installing bolts one size larger for added strength?

jp
    Last edited by jpa1300; 03-05-2008 at 12:15 AM.

+1
    its both. the m6 bolts are small and i think need to be stronger and carl sells the plate. ive heard of the studs pullingthrough the hull so you run a bigger bracket.

Is anyone running the intake grate insert from the 07 FX like Billie mentioned above? Or would an aftermarket one like the one Carl at IR makes be better?!

-Jon

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    I took the Stock OEM one piece and drilled and tapped it for the 8mm bolts. Forrest installed w/ 5200. I don't think you can pull it thru the hull. If it strips - we will let you know. Very easy to do! Pop old ones - push in new.

This is just one option of many!

Lowell

+1
    i dnt like the stock studs even tapped cause there is only like a 1/8 an inch all the way around the stud to hold. i dont trust it. if im gunna pull them then why not replace with bigger and better just incase. if you really wanted to just tap them out then you can leave them in the hull and tap them out bigger but i really dont agree with just larger bolts. sorry lowell. i overkill sometimes. my plate is way to big.

Thread Information