Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Lightbulb Tunnel Hull ski.. group input requested

Larry Jackson with Vengeance Watercraft designed and built this tunnel hull ski. It is patterned after the Unlimited Hydroplane boats like Miss Budweiser and with a turning fin on front sponsons will turn on a dime. Rather then 3pt hydrodesign, it has tunnels that run to the back like the STVs

He has is sending me a hull to build up with a jetski motor and choice of propulsion systems. Ofcourse being the speed freak I am, I want to see it with a prop running 120mph across the water

The one in the photos has a jetpump and where he envisions this is you buy the hull from him, and you pick up a donor ski. Transfer all the hardware, engine ect from the donor ski to his hull and there ya go.... race inspired tunnel hull pwc.

Right now its very low and wide which will be a definite safety advantage when testing it out at speeds. Very forgiving , but he has expressed a desire to get feedback from all of us and let us make it a community colaboration to designing the ultimate performance ski.

Keep in mind, I know this wont appeal to everyone, the wavejumping crowd will hardly give it a second look It will be able to run in lake chop and over passing boatwakes. The further back you put your weight, the higher the front end rides. If you cross a boat wake, just keep weight back and you will land with tips up. This is very common for tunnel hull driving techniques.

You dont have to look much further then boating arena to see how small tunnel hulls like the STV , Liberator , Cougar, Mirage and Quatershot have taken over the market where Vhulls once dominated. Its because with a tunnel design, you ride on a cushion of air that reduces friction and enhances ride quality as you glide over small waves rather then plow through them.

You will be able to buy this hull, and add your engine of choice and propulsion system. Its a conversion builders best scenerio and take time now to offer ideas to improve the design. After getting the hull I willl assemble it pretty quickly and push to have it ready for cruising around at mudbug. Look for lots of pics on the buildup

What I am hoping is to get a great deal of input from you guys, and together come up with a craft that appeals to this kinda crowd. Just for record, I have wanted a tunnel ski ever since the 90s and I saw the Laser x2000 (like in my avatar) I am totally stoked on idea of building this.

Please refrain from negative comments if something like this isnt your thing. Regardless if its your idea of a true pwc or not, feel free to contribute ideas if you see something that can be improved on.

This will be a full disclosure build with lots of pic.

Last edited by RUNWME; 03-04-2008 at 08:13 AM.

+1
    also.. whats a good title for this thread?

The jetpump design looks cool also, With the pump all the way at back of ski like the drag jetboats it should stay hooked up better in chop. Extending out the back further with radius tunnel would allow to gently transition flow. Hmmmm dual impellers, seadoo supercharge motor.....

Here is a pics of a completed one with jetpump setup for racing note triples sticking out the side and nitrous bottle
    Last edited by RUNWME; 03-04-2008 at 09:00 AM.

I cant wait to see this thing at Mudbug. Although this type of ski will not work for me, (Im a jumper and ride in kinda rough waters) I will be following this thread. This is definitely innovative and that ALWAYS interests me..

Good luck with the build!. You seem very determined.

+1
    Larry told me in past it recieved negative reactions from the people when he presented the idea of tunnel ski, and its what also killed the laser x2000 project. see post 11
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=laser+x2000

seems some people are reluctant to change and figure a 90mph ski should never be built Perhaps the time back then wasn't right, but now is.

I have wanted the laser tunnel ski for years, but I dont know first thing about hull building. When larry presented this to me, I was like kid in candy store. I am pretty sure I had to wipe drool from corners of my mouth more then once. I am not getting paid to do this, but will end up with a very cool "something different" ski to cruise around on, take to races and events like mudbug to help him out.

+1
    DUDe I want one too

Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    Larry told me in past it recieved negative reactions from the people when he presented the idea of tunnel ski, and its what also killed the laser x2000 project. see post 11
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=laser+x2000

seems some people are reluctant to change and figure a 90mph ski should never be built Perhaps the time back then wasn't right, but now is.

I have wanted the laser tunnel ski for years, but I dont know first thing about hull building. When larry presented this to me, I was like kid in candy store. I am pretty sure I had to wipe drool from corners of my mouth more then once. I am not getting paid to do this, but will end up with a very cool "something different" ski to cruise around on, take to races and events like mudbug to help him out.
    Its always nice to have that "different" ski. This I might say is WAAAY different. Have fun with it!! Looks like your gonna be pretty busy. You have to come up with a good name for it too.

+1
    I like it, but would not pursue getting one myself ... just a few thoughts that popped in my head ... it looks like one person setup, but is it aimed at a particular race class? I could see racers buying it, but the PWC market has shifted almost totally to 3 person PWCs ... so to introduce basically a one person PWC will be rough, its a very small market. With the the boat needing to be rigged, again, it will appeal mostly to hardcore racers, not very many rec riders, so if this boat fits into a specific racing class, my guess is that eventually will be its biggest market.

I would almost prefer to see a second, more recreational version ... a small hydroplane boat utilizing the same style powerplants, but using a propeller setup, that can seat 2-3 people. Have the propeller setup already, make it somewhat easier for a recreational guy to finish.

Just a different perspective maybe ... the boats are very cool, but very small market for one person race ski/boat IMO.
    Last edited by Vern; 03-04-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixed

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Does this mean I have to sell my Chevelle now?(I would ask if he'd take it in trade but I need some money fora donor ski)

What's the bill Dave? How many Bennies?

David, you know from our first conversation that I have interest in the tunnel hull design. So my vote i a YES, HELL YES! SEND ME INFO!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I have the perfect name for mine.

First the set up. I homebrew beer, its fun plus you get to drink your product and everyone loves you when you have homemade. I call my closet(brewery) the Brockman Brewery after my little quaker parrot.

I can call it Miss Brockweiser

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information