Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sho driveshaft problem

went to nj yamaha store and my salesman showed me the recall letter in there email from yamaha. it is a drive shaft issue, there were not torqued
    enough at the plant so the ones at the dealer our on hold till the yammi allows the dealer to sell them. the ones being shipped right know r fixed . the fix is easy there is no need to remove the engine, they go into the jet pump with a torque wrench and tighten it, they also put oil in the 1st and 4th cyclinder to bind it. so they can set the proper pressure on the drive shaft. fyi do not run your ski out of water outside of the no wake mode.they say the torque is so high if you rev it to high things will losen on deacceleation. so u must flush in no wake mode. took some pics need wife to post them.hope this answers all concern

Quote Originally Posted by bm27 View Post
    went to nj yamaha store and my salesman showed me the recall letter in there email from yamaha. it is a drive shaft issue, there were not torqued
    enough at the plant so the ones at the dealer our on hold till the yammi allows the dealer to sell them. the ones being shipped right know r fixed . the fix is easy there is no need to remove the engine, they go into the jet pump with a torque wrench and tighten it, they also put oil in the 1st and 4th cyclinder to bind it. so they can set the proper pressure on the drive shaft. fyi do not run your ski out of water outside of the no wake mode.they say the torque is so high if you rev it to high things will losen on deacceleation. so u must flush in no wake mode. took some pics need wife to post them.hope this answers all concern
    Sweet info! If they're shipped now, then we should get them by the end of this week.

Finally something positive and straight to the facts!

No more I heard from my buddy bullshit or vague random posts that never follow up.

Hope this is it and dealers will finally get some stock and get people out and riding.

Mine has had 'the fix' by the dealer and I have been instructed to rev to a max of 3000 when emptying the water box after flushing.

It does have a 'strange' noise in it though up front in the engine, mainly on idle. You can hear it with the seat off whilst flushing. Dealer assures me it's the supercharger.

Has anybody else noticed this noise? One of the other guys here seems more concerned than I am about the same noise in his SHO, so I guess we are looking for more info if anyone else over your way know anything.

Both ski's here are running well and feel very strong on power.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by the gos View Post
    Mine has had 'the fix' by the dealer and I have been instructed to rev to a max of 3000 when emptying the water box after flushing.

It does have a 'strange' noise in it though up front in the engine, mainly on idle. You can hear it with the seat off whilst flushing. Dealer assures me it's the supercharger.

Has anybody else noticed this noise? One of the other guys here seems more concerned than I am about the same noise in his SHO, so I guess we are looking for more info if anyone else over your way know anything.

Both ski's here are running well and feel very strong on power.
    Gos, take out a gps & ride one tank of gas to the buzzer, vary your speed & tell me how far you go,I'll buy the gas!!!! Can't take it anymore, I gotta know....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jpack View Post
    Gos, take out a gps & ride one tank of gas to the buzzer, vary your speed & tell me how far you go,I'll buy the gas!!!! Can't take it anymore, I gotta know....

Jim
    Hah, hah, hah. Suffer. Sorry, just had to do that. I'm really deep down nice-----sometimes.

Very good chance we may see what it does next weekend. Depends a lot on our very windy weather and if I can hook up with one of the local crew with a GPS. I don't have one as yet.

Here's the procedure in detail:

1. Remove both seats and the engine cover

2. Disconnect battery to prevent accidental starter operation

3. Remove all four spark plugs

4. Remove the speed sensor and ride plate

5. Remove the four bolts holding the jet nozzle. Remove the throttle assembly.

6. Remove the nose cone (bearing cap) at the end of the pump shaft

7. Using the nut on the end of the shaft, rotate the engine clockwise only until the pistons on #1 and #4 cylinders are at mid stroke

8. Pour about 250cc of engine oil into the #1 and #4 cylinder through the spark plug holes

9. Reinstall a spark plug into the #1 and #4 cylinders

10. Using the nut on the end of the shaft, rotate the engine clockwise until it hydrolocks

11. Tighten the rear drive shaft nut to the new torque specification

TIGHTENING TORQUE 200Nm (20kg-m, 145 ft lb)

12. Remove the two spark plugs

13. Extract the oil from the #1 and #4 cylinder using a vacuum extraction system such as an oil extractor or Mity Vac Extract as much oil as possible.

14. Clean the two spark plugs to remove oil contamination, then reinstall all four spark plugs.

15 Reassemble the jet pump, using the torque specification found in the service manual

16. Connect the battery and a flush kit

17. Start the engine (idle speed only) and then turn on the water supply. Let the engine idle for 10 to 15 minutes or until oil is burned off and no smoke.

18. Turn off the water and then immediately turn off the engine.

Mitch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by the gos View Post
    Hah, hah, hah. Suffer. Sorry, just had to do that. I'm really deep down nice-----sometimes.

Very good chance we may see what it does next weekend. Depends a lot on our very windy weather and if I can hook up with one of the local crew with a GPS. I don't have one as yet.
    I used to live in Buffalo NY. and those summers when the weather would get into a rainy pattern were a bummer. Still trying to figure out whether to get the SHO or the HO & put every mod I can on it to get to the low mid 60's. Tell me if I have to ship my GPS over too...LOL

Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    Here's the procedure in detail:

1. Remove both seats and the engine cover

2. Disconnect battery to prevent accidental starter operation

3. Remove all four spark plugs

4. Remove the speed sensor and ride plate

5. Remove the four bolts holding the jet nozzle. Remove the throttle assembly.

6. Remove the nose cone (bearing cap) at the end of the pump shaft

7. Using the nut on the end of the shaft, rotate the engine clockwise only until the pistons on #1 and #4 cylinders are at mid stroke

8. Pour about 250cc of engine oil into the #1 and #4 cylinder through the spark plug holes

9. Reinstall a spark plug into the #1 and #4 cylinders

10. Using the nut on the end of the shaft, rotate the engine clockwise until it hydrolocks

11. Tighten the rear drive shaft nut to the new torque specification

TIGHTENING TORQUE 200Nm (20kg-m, 145 ft lb)

12. Remove the two spark plugs

13. Extract the oil from the #1 and #4 cylinder using a vacuum extraction system such as an oil extractor or Mity Vac Extract as much oil as possible.

14. Clean the two spark plugs to remove oil contamination, then reinstall all four spark plugs.

15 Reassemble the jet pump, using the torque specification found in the service manual

16. Connect the battery and a flush kit

17. Start the engine (idle speed only) and then turn on the water supply. Let the engine idle for 10 to 15 minutes or until oil is burned off and no smoke.

18. Turn off the water and then immediately turn off the engine.

Mitch
    Can you let me know what tools are needed to perform this job?
    Last edited by Antiguan FZR; 03-05-2008 at 09:02 AM.

bm27, post some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information