Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPR 1200R Bogs

+1

GPR 1200R Bogs

I have a 2002 GP 1200R that started to bog real bad after a few minutes at WOT. When I reach 4500 rpm it clears up and runs normal at high speeds. Sounds real horrible at low rpm like the reed valves are sticking. The ski is totally stock and has 58 hours on it. I bought it at 50 hours and have not had any problems until now. Any idea on what to check for? Thanks

Might want to go thru the fuel system/ carbs- low side maybe has issues? Do some research on this topic. There is lost of carb talk in the system

do you know the history of repairs? were the carbs ever rebuilt? if not---2002--- long overdue.

+1
    No history on repairs or the lack of maintenance the ski has recieved. The guy i bought it from was a hack and only changed the plugs...thankfully.
    The bogging comes and goes very unpredicable. Could this be a plugged fuel filter?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x29c View Post
    No history on repairs or the lack of maintenance the ski has recieved. The guy i bought it from was a hack and only changed the plugs...thankfully.
    The bogging comes and goes very unpredicable. Could this be a plugged fuel filter?
    It could be a numbers of things. Go through the fuel system and carbs as suggested.

+1

Question ?

Hey there X29C

First things first welcome to the forum...

Now for you problem...

Eh..?????

Absolutely No idea....!!!!!!!

Sorry..!!!!!!!

Ok i'll try again...

Sounds to me like your power valves are intermittently jamming full open..??

Does it make a BBwwwooooaaarrr BBwwwooooaaarr sound when you try to get off the line..???

An easy way to check them is when you hit the starter the valves should cycle open then closed..

When the ski is off the little hole in the powervalve wheel should line up with a hole in the cylinder..!!
    That way you'll know if they're closed..

In fact if you haven't already done it download the workshop manual from
    here:.http://www.ramnj.com/GP1200R.pdf

Other than the powervalves jamming open then i'm with the other guys in suggesting its time to overhaul them carbs..
    While you're in there a d-plate would be a good idea to be fitted since the stinger needs to come off anyway..

Good luck with it..

Gerry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x29c View Post
    I have a 2002 GP 1200R that started to bog real bad after a few minutes at WOT. When I reach 4500 rpm it clears up and runs normal at high speeds. Sounds real horrible at low rpm like the reed valves are sticking. The ski is totally stock and has 58 hours on it. I bought it at 50 hours and have not had any problems until now. Any idea on what to check for? Thanks
    If it runs bad at low rpms then acts like it changes gears and comes alive at 4500 rpm your powervalves are not working right they are not closing at low rpms. check the power valve motor ride it with the seat off or on the hose and watch if they cycle. I have had this issue before.

+1

Cool ?

Hey Bill...

I bet you started typing that reply yesterday...

How's them old bone's feeling today..???

G....

+1
    Sorry for asking for a little help on this problem.

Gerry that is exactly the sound it is making...BBwwwooooaaarrr BBwwwooooaaarr. I guess that is why it was happening after WOT.

It comes alive at 4500 as Bill stated.

I will rip into the the PV, clean it up, check and adjust the motor.

Thanks for all the help.

John
    Last edited by x29c; 03-05-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Asking for help is a good thing(tm)! The engine coming alive at 4500RPMs sure sounds like your PVs are stuck open, but if it only happens after a WOT your PV servo might be dead, or the cables may have come loose. The valves may be sliding closed while your ski is at rest, so it's running fine at low RPMs when you first start up, but running at WOT the exhaust will eventually push the valves open. Have you noticed that your RPMs only reach 5900 or so when you first run WOT?

Anyway, if the PVs are fine it's time to check the carbs. A leaky needle seat or bad check valves could definitely cause you ski to run poorly at low RPMs. Like Carl said, your carbs are overdue for a rebuild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information