Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Help with the Hood Shock Rod thingy...

I removed my hood on the RXT... the hook that has the clip that goes on the hood.. i removed that and i guess the shock expanded all the way... i been laying into it... i can't get it to compress any ideas? lol

GET BIG! Lol....

The only thing I can think of is to just hook it to the hood first and then use the hood to get the correct "anlge" of push you need because you can line up the bolt holes and what not....

and if that dont work use a rachet strap and wrap it around somethign and then around the shock and rachet it to where you need...

or get a peice of wood put it on the shock and then sit on it....

I am just stabbing in the dark shib...

+1
    well if i'm anything... it's definitely not big, lol... i wasn't sure how much weight i could put into that shock rod so I didn't over-do it. but i can't get that thing to even budge. maybe it needs the hood on it like u said for the right pressure and degree of compression, i dunno...

i'm not ready to re-assemble or anything, just making sure i'm 100% clear on what is what for what i do put things back together. I'm in the middle of stripping the machine down and emptying it out so it will be as light as possible when we flip it over.

+1
    On the RXP I just put all the screws back in the hood. Found a safe place to put the hook on the hood and compress it using the hood. About 1/2 down I stuck a tool in-between the hull and the pivot arm on the shock. Then I just lifted the hood up and inserted the arm back in the correct hole. I haven't seen the RXT up close.

+1
    aright Mike... fair enough. I guess i'll cross that bridge when i get there...

BTW... damn is that stock GTX/RXT hood heavy!! scrap that sucker, probably losing a mph with that thing alone .... ok it's not THAT heavy, but it's alot heavier than i expected....

actually, i'm going to weigh it, brb

+1
    Best of luck collasping that shock Shibs I replaced the one on my RXDI and it was brutal.....I literally wrestled that friggin thing for two hours and my arms were bruised to shit when I was done....talk to the guys at your shop,there has to be a trick to installing it..

+1
    i can't let the cat out of the bag yet and ask my mechanic... unless Rob is reading this thread already, lol.... i worked at the shop with him all day saturday, then came home, and started tearing into it. i never told him my motor, hood, steering, and everything was stripped out my hull.... he's gonna kick my ass, lol.... SHHH

shibbnizzle, this is what you do:
    Get a very large worm clamp (hose clamp, about $3-$4.), with the shock/strut in the fully expanded position, place the hose clamp over each end, leaving access to snap the ends into place, start to tighten up the clamp until the clamp beds around the ends, zip tie around the clamp at the ends, so it doesn`t slip off ends, continue to tighten clamp until desired length is acheived, snap into place, cut zip ties, close the hood a little nad hose will fall off, save clamp for later use!, that`s what I did buddy! ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    shibbnizzle, this is what you do:
    Get a very large worm clamp (hose clamp, about $3-$4.), with the shock/strut in the fully expanded position, place the hose clamp over each end, leaving access to snap the ends into place, start to tighten up the clamp until the clamp beds around the ends, zip tie around the clamp at the ends, so it doesn`t slip off ends, continue to tighten clamp until desired length is acheived, snap into place, cut zip ties, close the hood a little nad hose will fall off, save clamp for later use!, that`s what I did buddy! ...PR...

Hey shibbnitz, did you read this ...PR...

+1
    yea Andy! i got it in the back of my mind... i get i'll try this method when i go to re-assemble the ski.. if i dont get it, then just extend your long commute to long island and do it for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information