Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy I need HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Hey guys..The other day my ski didnt want to start. I took it to a mechanic,they found out that the flywheel broke. I got an used flywheel from a member of PWC today. The guy installed the flywheel. I got the ski back yesterday. I went to a lake to try it for a couple of hours. It was running perfect for the first 15 minutes. All of a sudden the ski started to drop speed and die. Didn't want to start again. I took it back to the mechanic and he told me that it sound like the flywheel broke again. He took apart the engine today and called me that the same thing happened as before. He says that the shaft that goes into the flywheel looks good when he sees it with a mirror and a flashlight but that he is not 100% sure. He is not going to charge me anything for taking the engine apart and putting another flywheel. He says that the cheapest route to go,is to get another flywheel that looks like new and put it back. If the same thing happends again then he says is the tip of the shaft that goes into the flywheel that is not good, and that to replace the tip of the shaft and labor will be around 600. what do you guys think?I don't know anything about skis. Im about to kill myself..

+1
    where is the flywheel breaking? do you have pictures of the first one that broke?

im gonna go right now to the shop to see whats going on

First off get some pictures up. Then if you find out that it is the snout, 600 is a lot to to fix a snout. You could buy a trued and welded crank i think for around 500.00.

here are the pics..the first one is the first flywheel the ski had,the second picture is the second one that was installed after the first one broke. I was talking to the guy and he says that it might have been the flywheel,but he is not 100% sure,what happened was that the flywheel got loose and it was not cranking.To change the tip of the crank that goes into the flywheel he says is 600 with labor included. Now to try with another flywheel he will not charge me any labor just an used flywheel in good condition that another mechanic has for 70. If we install the other flywheel and the same thing happens then I will need to change the crank part that goes into the flywheel and another flywheel.what should I do??I don't have 600 right now. He charged me 210 to change the flywheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6301587.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	60868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6301586.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	60869  

First off i would get a good flywheel.(from someone on greenhulk.net) This way you know that you are getting a good quality used flywheel. You might even get lucky and someone can give you a good price on a new one. Try to put it on yourslef. The best way to learn more about your ski is do try things yourself. If you have the time, patients, and a computer to get to greenhulk, you can save a lot of money and know its done right. IMHO its sounds like it was put on wrong or the snout wasnt cleaned off.

Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    First off i would get a good flywheel.(from someone on greenhulk.net) This way you know that you are getting a good quality used flywheel. You might even get lucky and someone can give you a good price on a new one. Try to put it on yourslef. The best way to learn more about your ski is do try things yourself. If you have the time, patients, and a computer to get to greenhulk, you can save a lot of money and know its done right. IMHO its sounds like it was put on wrong or the snout wasnt cleaned off.
    I would love to do it myself but the thing is that I don't know how to put all the engine together,right now is at the mechanic's shop waiting. He says that he is going to put the next flywheel tomorrow and before he puts the engine back he is going to do some test to see if it gets loose by him forcing it with something,if that is the case he is not going to put the engine back. He said that he even used locktide in the screw wich he never uses. What do you guys think?

what am i missing...the flywheel mounting boss doesnt look damaged in the pictures above. if the bolt walked out it probably wasnt torqued correctly...where is the key? is it damaged? where is the bolt?

i have never seen a flywheel come off WITHOUT the snout on the crank being broken or the flywheel breaking into mutliple pieces taking out the stator and everything else in its path. i would question if the stator is damaged afetr two flywheels coming off at X rpm. the only way that wheel is going to come off is if its not torqued properly AND no loctite is used. i would also question the condition of the crank snout since two wheels came flying off and possible did some damage to the contour of the snout. your new flywheel should probably be lapped to ensure both surfaces are true to each other.

get a manual and do it yourself. you are the only guy you can truely trust....

hope that helps

i have a flywheel in perfect usable condition for 100 + shipping. ill work with you if you want it.

Ive done tons of these flywheels just dont break, it sounds to me like the flywheel wasnt torqued down, if they walk really bad ive seen them destroy the stator and trigger assemblys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information