Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

For those with the triple bearing mod.............

I took out my pump to chase down a cavitation problem I am having, and when I pulled out the pump I noticed that where the drain hole is on the (Optional billet cone), it was leaking. About a half teaspoon in three weeks.

There is no o-ring in there to prevent the lube from working its way through the threads of the plug.....

I suspect you would have some venturi effect at speed as well, making it pull through the threads even faster.

I would put some eurathane tape on the threads of the plug to prevent this lube from leaking.

There is only 1.5-2 ounces of lube in the cone as it is, so if you lost some, the paddle in the back might not circulate the fluid as it would otherwise.

Just a FYI

+1
    Good point Jeff. I always use thread sealant on mine.

So use what? Like the white thin tape stuff?? the stuff you use on air compressor fittings to make them air tight?

Jeff C: are you saying that your pipe plug did not have teflon tape or teflon pipe sealer on the threads? was the plug loose? and how exactly did you know you were loosing oil?...PR...

yeah thats what I am thinking of teflon sealing tape!

And i think he is saying the oil "seeped" through the treads of the pump cone because there was nothing to "seal" it like an O-ring...So the teflon tape should seal the threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Jeff C: are you saying that your pipe plug did not have teflon tape or teflon pipe sealer on the threads? was the plug loose? and how exactly did you know you were loosing oil?...PR...
    PR:

The plug was tight. I neglected to put on teflon tape on the threads before I put the pump on for the first time.

I saw that the plug area was wet, and when I looked at the venturi (Directly below where the plug above would be), I saw about a half teaspoon of Gear lube on the plastic from dripping off......

Not a big deal, just make sure you put on teflon tape on the threads before screwing on the plug.......

OO..the plug that screws into the pump cone..where you drain out the oil? Ok good to know! once I get it tommarow I will unscrew that plug and put some teflon tape on her!

BTW: what kind of oil should I use? I am proabbly going to take it out on thursday for the day and then replace the pump oil after that just incase there are any metal shavings or something in the bearings....and how exactly do you drain and replace the oil?do you use a oil pump to pump out the oil in the cone and then use a funnel and replace the oil (how much) All this is after you remove the venturi I would suppose right? thanks guys!

AJ: if your getting the pump back assembled, it should have oil in it from Skat. You could use Bombardier`s jet pump oil, or a good synthetic gear oil like Amsoil or redline, don`t know about using Mobil one...75W80 I think...Also it takes 2 ounces...

you drain the old oil by removing the tail cone, then after re-installing cone, you add thru the plug hole.

you can call Skat, and ask glen what the plug torque is or someone here could tell ya how tight to tighten plug...

you will need to change the oil more frequently, like every 20-25 hours of use...PR...

yeah I knew I had to change it more often which aint a problem...thats gona be a mess if I have to take the tail cone off...I dont want to have to remove the entire pump everytime, I will go through loctite like it is going out of style! I am going to have to come up with a way to take off the tail cone while the pump is still on and not get oil over everything...would just a shop towel soak up 2 ounces of oil? I cant picture how much that is...

As PR said whats the Torque on the drain bolt guys who ahve these?? and what just fill with a funnel??

I think you would be better off getting a srynge (spelling) that can hold several ounces and injecting it in there. you just need to remove the steering nozzle assy, place a rag or shop towels under it and away you go!...PR...

Others should post how they do it!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information