Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Tongue weight....

Hello all,
    I have to re set up my trailer the weight on the Tongue is too light.. I have a 250x 07 and a single ski trailer...
    What i am asking is what is a good weight for my factory trailering pkg of my 4 runner. I was told anywhere between 75- 100 lbs... the way it's set up now.. i can lift the trailer up with 4 fingers.. while i thought this would be good.. i found out it's not safe and can be quite dangerous.. When i go over a bump, i can hear all kinds of noise from the hitch...popping up i guess(too much weight on the wheels of the trailer and not enough on the tongue/ball) also i can see some lateral motion on the wheels(again not enough weight) very scary.. I know it wont go any where i have chains- hooked up properly but i would like it to be setup the right way..
    Any ideas? thanks

+1
    I have been told to set the weight on the tongue to 10 percent of the trailer weight. So if your ski and trailer weigh 1000 lbs, then you would put 100 lbs on the tongue.

+1
    Thanks for the reply...
    10% huh? well i have to add the trailer weight to that as well.. i think it weighs around 250. I'll try that formula and see what i come out with. I think i can use a bathroom scale too..
    You have a beautiful Lab there too... I have a buddy who has one... he tells me that he's more faithful than his EX wife was... and much better afield!!
    thanks again

+1
    If you cannot measure the weight, judge by the road. trailer should be 60/40 is what I told. If you have too much weight back, it will swing at 65MPH. If you have it weighted properly, you can still lift it, but it will track straight at speed

+1

Trailer tongue weight trailer loading bathroom scale

they are correct. I used a bathroom scale to measure my tongue weight.

Trailer Loading
    The way you load the trailer can determine how easy you can tow it. While loading, keep in mind that the tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the overall trailer weight. One of the main causes of trailer sway is not having a large enough percentage of trailer tongue weight compared to gross trailer weight. To help prevent the trailer from swaying back and forth, a few things can be done. Try placing heavier cargo in the front of the trailer, ahead of the trailer's axle. Also center the cargo left-to-right and use tie-downs to keep the load from sliding.

Trailer Sway can also lead to a loss of vehicle control. When starting out with a new load on a trailer, make sure it will not sway by gradually increasing your speed in intervals until highway speed is reached. If the trailer does begin to sway, try adjusting the cargo and equipment accordingly and then repeat the test. If repositioning the load and equipment did not help reduce the sway, a sway control or a weight distribution system

Too much weight on the rear of the trailer will cause the trailer to fishtail and may reduce traction or lift the rear wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground.
    Too much weight on the hitch will cause the rear wheels of the tow vehicle to drag and may make steering more difficult.
    Last edited by RX951; 03-06-2008 at 08:18 PM.

+1
    Thanks for all the Replies!
    I will take all of your advice and make it happen.I know my jetski weighs 917 and the trailer is around 180.. so i will go from there.
    thanks.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    10% of the whole enchilada is gospel. I built my own custom for my baby to give you a general idea. 80 MPH no problem. (well i had to test it )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1601.JPG 
Views:	601 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	61089  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    10% of the whole enchilada is gospel. I built my own custom for my baby to give you a general idea. 80 MPH no problem. (well i had to test it )
    nice job on that trailer earth

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    nice job on that trailer earth
    Thank bro. It's still not "finished" Been too cheap to buy some aluminum diamond plate to finish her off. Waiting for some scraps from my friends machine shop....trouble is my scraps need to be big....might be waiting along time.

Has some other nice features too. Attached are some i took right before dragging it down to register with DMV.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by earthshaker; 03-06-2008 at 10:21 PM.

+1
    very nice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information